User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladybugs as pest control (not for CPs obviously :))... any experiences?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ladybugs as pest control (not for CPs obviously :))... any experiences?

I know a lot of you guys are into bugs as well as bug-eating plants (ironically! ) sooooo....

My poor little container garden is starting to get a nasty aphid infestation :P so I'm considering ordering a package of ladybugs to help control them. I heard somewhere that a little dish soap in water would take care of the pests in the short term, which is what I did for now, but I really don't care for soapy tomatoes and cucumbers come harvest time. Has anybody tried using ladybugs for aphid control before? Success or tips? I'd like to avoid nuking everything with pesticides if possible... I'm not a crazily pro-organic person but minimizing pesticide use never hurt anyone
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand your concern for the ues of pesticides and respect it. How does one keep the ladybugs from wandering off?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know the greenhouse i worked at used them all the time to knock back aphid infestations they say it worked really well
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would think that would only work in an enclosed environment...like a greenhouse.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i doubt that.................the ladybugs should stay where the food is........the greenhouse i worked in was rather large but could successfully use the ladybugs to control aphids on a group of plants only taking up a few square feet.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rattler hit it right in between the eyes. Why leave till you HAVE to leave the food source?

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with lady bugs is that in large numbers they tend to completely wipe out their food source and then they have to move on in search of more food. The trick is to get enough lady bugs to knock down the infestation with out completely eliminating it so that some of the lady bugs will stick around and keep the aphids under control.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They sell containers of lady bugs and praying mantis egg cases at the OSHs and Armstrongs in Southern California. I don't recall seeing them at Home Depot or Lowes but I never looked for them there. They're rather prominently displayed at OSH and Armstrongs.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast