What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Make Your Firefox Internet Go Faster

• Thread starter NeciFiX
  • Start date

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
OK, so, me and a friend were on AIM and messing around with Firefox's commands and we discovered something to make pages go lightning fast. I have no idea if other people discovered this but whatever! It's rather simple, here are the instructions:

A. Download Firefox.

1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return.
Scroll down and look for the following entries:
network.http.pipelining
network.http.proxy.pipelining
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests
Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a
time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once,
which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:
Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"
Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"
Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30.
This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name
it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This
value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts
on information it receives. If you're using a broadband
connection you will load pages MUCH faster now!

---

Okay, now, I believe there is a side effect of this that cannot be proved for sure, but, I suspect it to be true. Using it costs more bandwidth for the website you are going to depending on the higher number you put into the integer of "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests". For this reason I have only tested it out and have not decided to use it. But, if you want to try it out or use it regardless, go ahead. I just thought it's quite interesting. It is a HUGE improvement on the speed of the internet. If you want faster internet, but don't want to burn peoples bandwidth too much, then you can keep the maxrequests number down. But, I have chosen just to keep it off entirely. My internet is fast enough. This is helpful for people with Firefox and broadband but slow computers I would suppose.

Anyways, comments?

There was actually an article a few weeks back about some of the about:config changes that you can do to make firefox behave differently. There's stuff to make pages load faster or reduce memory useage by shrinking the chache (incidentally making it so you need to re-download things more frequently so you may negate some of the other changes) and some other neet tricks. However, FF updates pretty frequently and with each new update you need to get a feel for things again. I'll find the link for ya.

Edit: The Link

I did it and I can't really notice a difference but I already have a fast connection.

Everytime I get one of those firefox report popups wanting to know how I like firefox, my firefox crashes :(

You have to remember and do it all correctly, especially the last step.

If you did then yeah it's the fast connection. The ending number also has to do with it.

I don't really notice a difference. Most sites that aren't visited much have more bandwidth.. and they load instantly anyways. TF loads pretty slow too. Like 3 seconds or something. *shrugs* I entered 15 instead of 30 for the one part anyways. I dunno.. I forgot to go to a bunch of pages first so I could compare the speed. XD

Let's compare it to IE then...... well it loads a HELL of a lot faster than IE. Which I am pleased about. I dunno if it was always like that but whatever, I'm happy. IE still sucks too!

TF loads pretty slow too. Like 3 seconds or something. *shrugs*

terraforums is the fastest forum I visit. I don't have the 3 second lag that you talk about. Just for fun, I just looked at yesterday's statistics for these forums... there were 23000+ page views comming from 4000+ unique visits (that means 4000 different computers visited the forums and of those 4000 computers people viewed 23000 pages... I don't know much... But that seems like quite a bit of traffic. lol

Everytime I get one of those firefox report popups wanting to know how I like firefox, my firefox crashes

I think you may be confused. After firefox crashes (even if the page hasn't closed yet, so it looks like it's running) a box opens up so you can report the crash, not how you like firefox. I've never had a box open and ask how I like FF. lol

terraforums is the fastest forum I visit. I don't have the 3 second lag that you talk about.

TF is generally prretty fast for me, too. Even if it were going slightly slow, I don't think it's ever taken 3 seconds without being my fault (saturating my own bandwidth/cpu with something else.)

As for the making 30 simultaneous requests, I could see there being servers that don't appreciate or don't respond to that sort of thing. In general, if somebody is gonna make so many requests simultaneously, and then continuously (as you visit other pages on the site,) it could get mistaken as some sort of DDoS attack. Even if you're not downloading the same stuff 30 times, those 30 requests per instance add up. Not to mention, if we're talking speed, a server under load isn't helped by a bunch of people sending out 30 requests at a time. Just a thought.

I too never got a how do you like fire fox... i think you're right about the send report.

I also don't agree how sending a bunch of requests is going to make it faster.. that's basically like many more people using the forum at the same time, which could only slow it. please don't do that. You don't pay the bandwidth... I do :-\

I also don't agree how sending a bunch of requests is going to make it faster.. that's basically like many more people using the forum at the same time, which could only slow it. please don't do that. You don't pay the bandwidth... I do :-\

Can you limit the number of incoming requests from any given IP?
Just sending a packet back and forth (even if it's 30 times) shouldn't do too much for the bandwidth, but I could see it bogging down a server if it's already under load, a slower server, or everyone and their dog is doing this. Well, it seems like most people don't notice the benefit anyway, so there shouldn't be too much worry about this "catching on."

Well, it seems like most people don't notice the benefit anyway, so there shouldn't be too much worry about this "catching on."

that's true :boogie:

and no i've never seen an option for such a thing... Really, it shouldn't have to be a concern.

terraforums is the fastest forum I visit. I don't have the 3 second lag that you talk about. Just for fun, I just looked at yesterday's statistics for these forums... there were 23000+ page views comming from 4000+ unique visits (that means 4000 different computers visited the forums and of those 4000 computers people viewed 23000 pages... I don't know much... But that seems like quite a bit of traffic. lol

WOW! That's impressive.

xvart.

Wow.. yeah that is a lot! I didn't think that many people came here.. even if they never do join.

I guess you must have a faster connection than me.. or you could be closer to the server than I am, cuz it takes 3 seconds to load completely. It doesn't really matter though.

oh, if you're going by the load bar... you're likely waiting for the advertisements... Those run on a rotating script or something so they show up a tad later (still not 3 seconds though).. but the forum is open ready to view/participate in immediately for me.

Back