Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Camera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is spot metering the Little Arrow thing that goes back and forth when i change the time priority, till it hits the center Or is that the ISO? Are you a Photographer?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally modern cameras will measure light across the entire image, broken up into areas. The areas will have more priority depending on the metering program/mode you pick. So a scenic might place more emphasis on the bottom 2/3ds of the image, portrait mode more towards the center of the image etc. Spot metering puts all the sensitivity in a small area of the image and allows you to take meter readings of selected areas. You can to some extent do the same by getting close to the subject and taking selected readings but this isn't always practical.

What you described sounds like manual metering mode.

I've spent quite a bit of money on photographic equipment in my time and taken a few classes but that doesn't make me a photographer
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found another photo that was ok,
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1021/...1bc0f0.jpg?v=0

Ah, Cause I'm learning all this stuff now, and plan on going to go to college for it (the reason for the camera). Now that I think about it I think I have a metering like setting, I can put it in automatic, and it has a kind of Rectangle with 9 dots in a Diamond shape, I can select which one and it will focus on what ever it finds in that area. But It could be the manual metering mode, I need to do more reading!

Thanks for your help

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's spot-metering mode. It probably can be switched between manual or automatic.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12