User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memories...light the corners of our minds...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My interest in plants is an extension of growing up on a farm. We grew all of the standard crops, raised chickens, cattle, hogs and horses.
    My fondest memories are of my Grandmothers garden. It was about 1/2 acre and contained everything good to eat...mustard, parsley, dill, basil, thyme, radish, onion, potatos, carrots, turnips, parsnips, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe, peppers, (Hungarian hots were my favorite) all types of green leafy vegatables and many more good things. There were apple and pear trees also. The whole thing was fenced and she had a big old mutt that lived in the enclosure to scare rabbits and deer away. Walking through it in the cool, damp early morning air, pickin' the "fixins" for the days meals was a treat.
    She kept an old pump .22 by the kitchen sink and was known to squeeze off a few rounds if some critter was sniffing around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i grow cps and one orchid.
    Go White Sox!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -J Hendrix

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really a home gardener (fruits, veggies, flowers) and have a tendency for get into that which is oddball or "outside the box".

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awww...another Grandmother memory. I didn't get to grow up on a farm but at least where I grew up, I could run amuk in the woods. I think that too fostered my love of nature. I still love being out in the woods.

Jan, you are lucky you grew up with HORSES.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

I remember the first plant I grew was a Pinto Bean Plant when I was in second grade. My dad taught me how to do it. I also remember growing corn and pea plants back then.
    As of now though, I grow mainly CP's. I don't think what is located (planted in the ground) in my front and back yards count, but I currently grow pansies, daffodils, a grape vine, dahlias, two peach trees, an apple tree, snap dragons, various shrubs, rose bushes, two a peace lilies, and two Aloe squarrosa.
    -Joel from Southern California

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't remember when I first started growing house plants. I have grown African Violates, Christmas cactus (still have the monster my grandmother grew), prayer plants, etc. My first garden though was in my grandmother's back yard. I'd grown up hearing stories about the gardens my grandfather had had and all the flowers he had grown. I asked my grandmother if I could grow a garden in the back yard like grandpa had had and she let me. It was a good sized garden. About 50' 75'. The nice thing was, there was an irrigation ditch running through the alley and the ground water was high enough when the ditch was running that once things started growing I didn't have to water much.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While this story isn't what got me into plants, it is a fond memory I have about my childhood with plants.

My dad grew some milkweed, dill, and parsley in our front yard and we would get swarms of caterpillars which would in turn make cocoons. My dad would bring the cocoons on to our back screened in porch or even inside while the transformation would take place to save them from the possibility of being eaten by a bird or something. Every year my dad would run around very excited as he explained to me the process and how you could tell when a butterfly was about to emerge from the cocoon. It was always neat coming home from school and seeing a butterfly in our kitchen or on the porch drying it's wings or even flying! We never really had much success with Monarch's, but I will always remember that learning experience and the excitement my father had (and passed on to me).

My mom thought the dill and parsley were ugly so she made my dad cut it down in the front yard but he transplanted it to the side so we could continue "raising" butterflies without my mom being too embarrassed.

My interest in plants, as others have stated, just manifested itself through my love and appreciation of the outdoors. I went camping a lot growing up and always loved discovering new plants or seeing the different types of growth and different types of plants. I will always be amazed at mother nature and the incredible feats that plant kingdom has in store.

I have also always thought that plants must have the most peaceful lives, just constantly interacting and responding without thought to the surrounding environment. I think I'm just jealous because I want to be a tree!

What a great topic.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life! neon-eon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CP's are my big thing, but I also really like cacti, and palms...we have a baby chinese windmill palm in our front yard, but it doesn't seem to be fairing too well, perhaps I should start with an older one... and I also like growing vegetables, cause' you can eat em' when they're big...has anyone else besides me grown pumpkins?...there's nothing wrong with a free jack-o-lantern right?
    -No matter what you do with your life, I still care about you. -Mr P.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12