User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memories...light the corners of our minds...

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Memories...light the corners of our minds...

After reading DaveEngland's intro post where he wrote of a memory he had which might have sparked his interest in plants...I was wondering if anyone else had some memory of when/how their interest in growing plants was sparked. So, if you'd like to share, please do.

Not too long ago my parents made a comment to me: "We can't figure out where you got your green thumb since it didn't come from us." I was surprised to hear that comment because it seemed so obvious to me. It came from my grandmother. When I was little, I'd go stay at her house all the time. She had flowers growing all around the house. She used to have cement flower urns on either side of her front porch where every summer she grew petunias. One of my clearest memories is her showing me how to deadhead the petunias and telling me it made them flower more. I watched her deadhead with serious intent...soaking up the tidbit. I would follow her around as she tended her plants...enjoying the jittery butterflies, inch worms and the smell of earth. I also remember sinfully succulent fresh figs from her fig bush every year. YUM! So, I credit my grandmother for sparking my love for plants when I was very little.

I loved being at my grandmother's house...chalky peppermints in the candy dish, brown-edged wafer cookies (no longer made! waaah!), chinese checkers, playing on the piano, powdered toothpaste, laughing at her saying "wee wee" and being given the choice of sleeping with a pillow or without (which I thought was SO cool to have a choice so I'd always say no pillow...lol).

Anyone else have a moment or memory where plants grabbed your interest?
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my dad has been working with plant and has been in the nursery and landscaping business since i was born. frequently i would go to work with him and just help him out. learning about plants, watering them, helping out customers. i learned a whole lot from him about general culture of plants to this day, hes got a black thumb when it come to CPs and has killed several while i was on spring break. but anything else he is amazing with. he can ID pests and symptoms, get good "cides" from work and he works with a few people who grow CPs!! like...Tom Dodd. i got 2 plants coming fro mim sometime this week
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't know where it came from, Ive just had a fascination with nature and life, and plants always loved planting seeds and seeing if they would grow. I cant tell where it came from sadly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think it was christmas of '99 when my friend's sister was frantically looking for a vft in the chicagoland area. at that time, i knew nothing about the plant. i didnt even know it existed. i volunteered to help my friend's sis so, i got on the internet and went across a few websites.

as i learned more about the vfts, i ended up wanting one for myself. i thought "wow how cool. a plant that eats insects. i could definitely add this to my army of insect eating things." of course, i had to get "clearance" from my parents. they were already unhappy by the fact that my room was always messy and smelly due to my tarantulas, black widows, hamsters, and a dog.

i eventually bought my first 4 vfts. i had the red dragon, typical, dente, and the green dragon.
    Go White Sox!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -J Hendrix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could see how the hamster and dog made it smelly, but not harmless black widows and T's.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a kid I was given a VFT kit. I really didn't know anything about them, but nevertheless I followed the instructions and the plant sprouted and grew for awhile. And then it declined an died. I had no idea as to why. When I was a senior in high school I bought another. It was doing fine until a friend accidently knocked it over and it crashed to the floor. As a young adult and working for a tropical fish wholesaler, I bought another and placed it in a tank that was designated for plants, terrarium style. The plant flowered and promptly died. A few years later I bought yet another, along with an Asian & American pitcher plant. One by one, each of them died. I didn't understand why and decided that they were just too hard for me. A few years ago I was walking through an the greenhouse section of Home Depot and passed an array of VFT's. I just couldn't resist and bought one. But this time I vowed that I would do whatever it took to keep them alive for more than 3 months. So I went to the bookstores and sought out books on carnivorous plants. I found Savage Garden and CP's of the US & Canada. And then I discovered that I was killing them with a variety of mistakes. I was using tap water; had insufficient lighting; no air circulation with the plastic dome on; and provided no dormancy for them. Throughout the next few months I bought more CP's that I found at Lowes and other greenhouses. But I had no idea what I was buying, beyond that of a butterwort, a couple sundews, and a few pitcher plants. The books were only a little helpful in identifying them, beyond the genus name, but they really all looked too much alike to my untrained eye. So I turned to the Internet and searched. That was when I accidently stumbled upon the discussion forums. I had no idea that discussion forums even existed, much less for carnivorous plants!

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life! neon-eon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in october I was looking for cati, because I wanted to decorate my room like a desert...I happened to stumble upon some VFT's, and I bought one. I immediently looked up some info about them on the web. After I knew how to grow them, I bought a few more, and became interested in other CP's...I ordered a few other kinds, and fell in love with them. Now my house resembles more of a jungle rather than a desert lol.
    -No matter what you do with your life, I still care about you. -Mr P.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...do y'all just grow CPs and no other plants? I guess there are people who like plants in general who also grow CPs...and then there are those who like and grow CPs only.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast