What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halleulah Wal-Mart?

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
The other day (yesterday) I went to Wal-Mart after we had to stop there to pick up supplies for being at a beautiful cabin (by the way, NEVER let your mother light up a grill, it burnt out 5 times and by God, the chicken was blacker than anything I've ever seen). So, I asked the lady in the back if they had any Peat Moss, obviously for Carnivorous Plants. She tells me that they are outside, I was worried at first because the peat moss are usually in some bags next to the perlite. So, I go outside and I find humongous bags of Peat Moss, the largest bag, which has 156 Liters of Peat Moss in it costs $10.77. I read the back (this was extremely hard, it took about 5 minutes for me to beat the gigantic bag over, only then did I discover there were smaller bags down to 50 liters I easily could turn over) and it did not mention any fertilizer in it and it said it is "pure and organic and all natural". Hopefully that means no fertilizer.

So huzzah for Wal-Mart if they don't have any fertilizer in them. Now, if only they had gigantic 156 liter bags of perlite instead of the small bags in the back (seriously, I was in the back of the greenhouse picking charcoal up for the grill yesterday and this woman stops next to me and starts asking me where she could get plastic pots, then she went "Oh! Do you work here?" I guess I look like a worker then!). They also have this "premium orchid mix" with crushed fir bark and some other stuff I've seen in some Nepenthes mixes, but, more than likely it had fertilizer in it so I'm going to ignore it.

~NeciFiX

I use the "Premium" orchid mix wal-mart sells. Wash it or else the charcoal dust will discolor your LFS. I like it, and add one part of it to one part LFS and one part perlite.

Neps can stand a bit more fertalizer than most.

Ah yes, I got a big bag of sphagnum peat from lowes...but I still have to buy little bags of perlite, because I can't seem to find it in large amounts...Yeah, a big ol' bag of peat is nice, lasts long also...

-Gabe

Back