What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NASC Dollar Amount Raised So Far? Look Here.

xvart

Doing it wrong until I do it right.
Staff member
So since I was a little bored and very curious about how much money had been raised so far I spent a little time adding up the largest bid for each listed auction. The benefit of "wasting" my time going through every auction is that I also saw some sweet deals further down the list that I am now watching (and I even bid on one!). I would highly recommend everyone going through every auction.

Anyways, as of 9:46 PM on 6/15/07 on the TF clock, there has been a total of $1,444 raised for the NASC! Almost half of that ($598) came from the third page alone!

Bid away! Raise some more money!

xvart.

Last edited:
Wow!

And the auction still has more than a week left!

Glad to be a part of it, as a bidder, at least :p.

Just think about all the thousands of Sarracenia in the wild that this money will go to. :). :cry:.

Tears of joy!

Awesome work everybody! :)

I can't tell y'all how much this means to NASC. Even more important than the money itself, is knowing that the community is behind this project. That all of you understand that this needs to be done and that it will take money to operate.

This is a long-term, very broad-ranged project and we have a long road ahead. So we need all the help we can get. I hope after the auction some of you will come on board to be more active in the process. Each year I hope we can take bigger and bigger strides.

Back in January I was able to see a site that is owned by a man who is building a house on the property. There were loads of Sarracenia on this one block of residential land. At the time, we didn't know if we would have to "rescue" these plants or if they would be able to safely remain. As I looked at them, I was thinking about how much work it would entail to remove them if it came to that--digging, refilling holes, packing the plants, transporting/shipping, etc. Something like that will take a lot of hands and and a certain amount of money.

Thankfully, Ozzy, Head of Conservation, worked with the cooperative landowner and the plants will remain where they are (as long as they stay safe). But this made me realize that at any time, we may be called upon to act to protect these plants so funding is very important.

I hope that the interest and support the auction generates will continue long after everyone has their auction wins.

Just as "it takes a village to rear a child"...it takes a community to ensure that Sarracenia are protected whenever possible and taken into good hands when its a last resort.

I get teary just looking at all the wonderful plants people are giving up for this cause. Then I start drooling when I read the listings.... lol

Y'all ARE the best folks around. :hug:

Ya, I feel proud that I chose to take part in bidding...not to sound egotistical, but I enjoy growing CP's and it's rewarding for me to know that I can help with a cause that I deeply care about :) ...I definatley want to get involved in the NASC down the road from now!

How much has been raised in years past?

xvart.

How much has been raised in years past?

xvart.

I've normally been the one to calculate it and post it at the end (just for fun.) I guess that the only one I started a separate topic for was the 2006 auction the topic can be found here.

By my count, the total ended up being ~$4,588 Not bad.

I think past totals have been closer to the 2,000 dollar range, but I could be mis-remembering.

As for this auction, I know that there's a lot of items that are waaaay lower than they should be; a good number of Mike's (HoustonHerp), Andrew's offer, a lot of CP30's offers, and many more are VERY low. I know I've got more bidding to do. We've had a lot of great donations, I hope that we can find some more good bids!

Thanks again, everyone.

I intend on the next auction to put up some plants,
Hope I helped/helping the nasc by bidding :)
I think that if you bundled shipping like CP30
for instance you buy 3 plants you would not pay
$15 buck on shipping but $5 or $10 since they would
all go in one box and USPS flat rate is $7.50 it would encourage(people like me)
To bid on a few items from the same member who charge on shipping.
So both parties would be happy,the NASC gets more money and the members get
better shipping rate for mulitble items from the same member :)
Please post your thougts and consider changing your shipping to
a "bundle" methode :)

I've normally been the one to calculate it and post it at the end (just for fun.)

Whoops! Didn't mean to steal your job! :nono:

I think that if you bundled shipping

I am sure people would be more than happy to bundle shipping and send everything you won from them together. I think it only makes sense but I suppose I can't speak for everyone who will be shipping plants and stuff.

xvart.

The donor provides the shipping cost so I'm sure if one person won multiple items from one donor, the shipping would be adjusted. And a lot of donors are also paying shipping anyway.

When you list items on the nasc you get a information sheet suggesting things like bundled shipping,no dutch auctions etc?

It's all in the rules man..... It's normal to combine shipping when shipping multiple items to one person. Who would ship 2 boxes when they could ship one?

Whoops! Didn't mean to steal your job!

Steal my job? More like ruin my entire summer. Thanks!

:nana:

Steal my job? More like ruin my entire summer. Thanks!

:nana:

LOL! Well I tell you what. It certainly didn't make my entire summer. I'm just glad I found a relevant time to use the :nono: smiley face!

xvart.

F-F-F-F-FOUR THOUSAND? Dang!

I only want 1 auction to be won of mine, the other I just happen to be winning because nobody else is bidding in it :(.

Maybe I could "happen" to bid on it wich item?

I only want 1 auction to be won of mine, the other I just happen to be winning because nobody else is bidding in it :(.

Don't bid on things you don't want.

xvart.

If you don't want it, don't bid on it. You could end up with something you didn't want and you'll only have yourself to blame. And if you bid on something and then try to back out of the deal, it will make you look bad.

Back