Thread: Starting with Barerooted Plants

The Obsessive Gardener pedersonplants's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting with Barerooted Plants

Hello:

I have bought from a business in Florida that sells bare-rooted cps only. I've tried twice and failed to get them to adjust and grow for me.

What are some secrets to getting these barerooted plants growing again?

Diana Pederson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of CPs?

I grow all my CPs in a mix of long fiber sphagnum moss (not peat) and sponge rock. But different people use different things. I put bare root CPs in that and keep them away from heavy wind and direct sun until they've adjusted. If you're in a low humidity area, you might want to also put a loose plastic bag over the pot to boost the humidity.

I'll use my <75 ppm TDS tap water on Neps, but only use dehumidifier water or rain water on my Sarrs & VFTs. Don't fertilize them. I'll eventually put a few beads of Osmocote fertilizer in the Nep pots but don't use any on the others.

On the other hand, maybe your source doesn't sell the healthiest plants or doesn't ship them well.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure that your lack of success is due to potting the bare root plants? I usually just throw them in a pot with whatever mix I make and they take some time to adjust. Perhaps it has something to do with your soil mixture or water. As herenorthere says, make sure none of your soil has added fertilizer and make sure to use only distilled or rainwater (depending on your ppm of your tap water).

What kind of plants have you tried? With a little more information I'm sure we'll be able to help you out and get some great CPs from any sort of mailing or delivery!

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine after shipping from hawaii are doing okay exept for my venusta,
    I have killed a alacie from too much sun too fast,I guess I have bad luck with rosseted drosera even my scorpoides are growing after a complete barerooting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have killed sarracenias and pings. I use canadian sphaghum peat with perlite.

WHat is SPONGE ROCK? Is this another name for pumice?
    Last edited by adnedarn; 06-16-2007 at 10:47 AM. Reason: no vendor names please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Sponge rock is another term for perlite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But sponge rock is larger than perlite and is very angular. It cuts down on how much LFS is needed, while preventing it from compacting and not clogging airflow.

Tell us what growing conditions you've put new plants in and maybe that'll help someone figure out the problem.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use regular perlite (sponge rock isn't available locally).

These are always kept in an indoor terrarium; sarracenias were outside in container of water (kept at about 1 inch deep).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast