Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have a question

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a question

I'm currently working in a facility that produces enriched uranium. I walked into a lab the other day and I saw two 5 gallon ice coolers with water pumping in and out. There was duct tape one cooler that said 'For Brine shrimp only, NOT FOR USE WITH FISH" On the second cooler was a duct tape tag that said "Control"

I stated looking around, there were lab beakers, tubes running all around. Everything you'd expect to see in a lab. As I looked closer, I saw some of the beakers had brine shrimp swimming around. Some labeled "Controlled". There was about 8 or 9 jars of brine shrimp.

There was a log book with reminders to feed the fish. I didn't find the fish though.

My question is why would a nuclear facility be doing experiments with sea monkeys?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much for security if they let you just wander into labs.

It's called diversification. Enrich uranium on one hand, on the other sell sea monkeys and other biological nightmares. Do you really suppose "triops" are a naturally occuring organism?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much for security if they let you just wander into labs.
    I have security clearance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ozzy, Ozzy...

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I have security clearance.

Like he said... They must have *GREAT* security if you're walking around in there....

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That must be neat working there I just hope to get a college degree because I can't/won't be able to drive from my vision so I will have to earn more than the average person

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might not keep that security clearance if you describe what you see on an open forum.

Although I'd like to think it was something evil, my guess is that they're testing the water they discharge. Federal regulations say treated chemical discharges have to be tested occasionally by seeing how they affect crustaceans and fish. I don't know what the regulations say for nuclear facilities but there's probably a similar requirement in there somewhere. I usually see results for tests on Daphnia and fathead minnows, but those are for freshwater discharges and maybe brine shrimp are used for saltwater discharges? It sounds like a very half-***ed testing setup, but it's a horribly dangerous nuclear facility and we shouldn't be surprised.

A former room-mate of mine continued on in the academic world and once was able to go fishing below GA's Savannah River plant. It was officially some kind of duck survey, but they spent the day fishing. He said the fish they pulled out of that water had strange growths and sores and deformed fins and so on. So the brine shrimp you saw probably are in the process of becoming real sea monkeys.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ozzy,

You're so silly! If you're dealing with enriched uranium, just turn off the lights and you'll find the fish. They'll be the ones glowing in that beautiful shade of green.
    there is a pleasure in being mad, which only a madman can enjoy!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast