What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glacier Girl

I went by to visit one last time... (it will be leaving for good today, she has been sold)

this is the plane from the documentary... and it's the only P38-F model left in existance

p38f_front.jpg

p38f_rightnose.jpg

p38f_rightside.jpg

and some more eye candy...

p51_leftside.jpg

p51_rightside.jpg

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds,--and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless falls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, nor eer eagle flew--
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high, untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee jr
WWII Fighter Pilot

OMG! She is absolutely magnificent. Complete with drop tanks, quad .50's with full ammo belts and a 20 mm cannon. Where will she be based now? Did you work on the restoration?
And those P-51's...my God, I wish I could have had the opportunity to fly one of those.
A long, long time ago, I was fortunate enough to stand alongside "Precious Metal" when that big R. R. Merlin fired up. Absolutely awesome. I flew out of Executive Airport, where the Whittington Brothers had their operation.

Lovely! There used to be a woman that would fly her bare-metal P-38 to all the airshows in Calif. I haven't been to a show in nearly 20 years. I wonder what happened to that one?

Lauderdale,

A Texan aviation company has bought her... I don't know any details about them though. She is on her way to the UK now, it is going to complete it's failed mission... I think one of the morning shows (Good Morning America maybe?) is going to have a segment about it tomorrow (Friday)

I wish I had participated in the restoration, I have my FAA A+P licenses and my FCC GROL, but at that time it was just too far to travel to volunteer, I wanted too but just couldn't afford it

Its an awesome story, buried in the ice for so many years... with the search. recovery and restoration organized and funded by one of the original pilots of "The Lost Squadron"

sadly, he has since died, now the family has sold it

Warren,

there is still a small hand full around, but Glacier Girl is the last "F" model... awesome plane.

fly high and cover your six, glacier girl

Av

Here we go from the Chino Airshow '89 or so - don't remember. Click on thumbnails. Quickscans of slides without much correction. Ektachrome blueish and all.

P-38

P-47D Razorback

very nice indeed Warren, I dont think I have ever seen that one.... (P38-G Recon version?)

Oh Santa, I dont want much... just a surplus MIG 19 please

the ultimate big boy's toys

Av

There was a MIG-17:

Some more shots of the P-38 cuz I know you can't get enough ;)

I saw the clip on GMA yesterday. Sooo neat to see her flying with all those other warbirds.

LOL, and I missed it....

was it archive footage?

Edit: I searched online for the GMA story....didnt find a copy but I did find this http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3306742 at the rate it is downloading for me, sometime tomorrow I might be able to watch it LOL (56k)

;)
Av

BTW Warren, I hope you don't mind if I saved a copy of your pics ;)

Last edited:
That was only part of the footage. The rest of it showed her as she began her flight to England. She was accompanied by Mustangs, a Corsair and numerous other warbirds. Very nostalgic. I certainly hope she doesn't just get stored in some hangar. She should be flown and let people see her in her element.

Back