Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone ever had shingles?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My grandma also had shingles and I know it is definitely not fun! Other than being totally annoying and painful sometimes, it's no big deal. I mean, if my grandma can make it through case after case of shingles you'll do just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    Do you have chicken pox party over in the States?
    Yes! At least 18 years ago when my mom sent me to a friends house and told me to drink out of my friends drink to catch it.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, shingles is Herpes zoster but its related to the chicken pox virus. Anyone who's had chicken pox can get shingles. If you have not had chicken pox, you won't get shingles. You don't "catch" shingles through kissing or other intimate activities. Its possible to infect someone if they touched a blister and then touched a break in their skin, but they would get chicken pox, not shingles. Typically, healthy people will not get more than one episode of shingles. Usually its people with weak immune systems (elderly, AIDs patient, etc.) who may have additional outbreaks of shingles.

Of course my doctor put me on medication...Famvir and prednisone. I've had two eye exams as well since there is concern about it showing up in my eye. Unfortunately I'm having some eye problems this morning so I've got another appointment later today.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlantAKiss View Post
    Yes, shingles is Herpes zoster but its related to the chicken pox virus.
    It is not related to the chicken pox virus, it is the chicken pox virus. One beast with two heads as it were. Hence the reason you can not get shingles unless you have had chicken pox and doubly hence the reason naive people exposed to someone with shingles run the risk of getting chicken pox.

So speaketh the microbiologist
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12