Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever had shingles?

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone ever had shingles?

Well I got whacked with a case of shingles. Dang! I never knew exactly what it was but I do now. It chose my FACE as the location. I don't look too pretty but then again, I didn't to begin with. First I got blisters on my lip...then under my eye...then other spots on the right side of my face. Apparently it only erupts on one side of the body. If you've ever had chicken pox, you can get shingles. Its related to chicken pox. Its painful...I get sharp stabbing pains like needles being jammed into my face. OWIE! The pain can remain long after the shingles are gone...sometimes for years (hopefully that won't happen to me).

The stuff around my eye was the worst case scenario for shingles. It can get IN your eye and you can go blind. I've been seeing an eye dr. and he thinks my eye is safe now.

I've been meeting lots of people who have had shingles or a family member or friend. So I was wondering if anyone here has ever had it?
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My grandma had shingles, she is OK now.
    I'm sure you'll be fine!
    I am going to visit the sarracenia in Oregon someday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my ex had it once. i heard it can be brought on/ aggravated by excessive stress also. he was relatively young at the time and it was on his back.

said it was painful and stuff.

hope you feel better and do your best to relax.

NICK,NICK,NICK!!!!! Indians....... likeAstone76's Avatar
    Kansas, on the plains with the tumbling tumble weeds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have shingles on my roof.
    Here's to the first of the of the day fellas!! To old, D.H. Lawrence!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I got whacked with a case of shingles. Dang!
    i was thinking the same thing as you likeAstone76 i was thinking "oh! poor PAK those darn construction workers better watch what they are doing!" then i kept reading

i hope you get better soon!
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PAK, I understand that if anyone has had chicken pox and did not develop an immunity against it...then the person becomes prone to shingles later on in life. A colleague of mine had chicken pox once, followed with 4 times of shingles spaced over two decades.

That is why over here in Singapore, we still have the belief that when a child has chicken pox we should not use medication to treat it but instead allow the body to develop its immunity against the virus.

Do you have chicken pox party over in the States?
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VZV is a type of herpies virus and, like all members of that family, it goes dormant in a specific cell type, basal ganglion in this case IIRC. Reactivation can be caused by any number of stimuli so there is no real true trigger that you can avoid. Whether or not you have developed an immunity to chicken pox is actually moot as the virus activates a different set of genes to revive from latency which your body is naive too, hence the reason it manifests differently.

PAK, you might want to talk to your Dr about antivirals (acyclovir, Valtrex, etc) which might help to limit the duration of the outbreak.

Cindy, Pox parties used to occur here but not so much any more. Most parents now are diehard for the vaccine (which does not protect as well as a typical infection) I actually had to get in a rather heated argument with my pediatrician about not vaccinating my daughter.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard you get "shingles" from partying too much...drinking, carousing, going to clubs and staying out all night. Slow down Suzanne.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast