Thread: Mealybugs

I drink to make others more interesting. bpullin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mealybugs

Hi,

I'm pretty sure my sarrs have mealybugs, but when I went to check them out, the stupid things actually jumped like a little leaf hopper! I have never seen mealybugs move let alone jump. There is the cottony little masses with at least one bug in it, but they are very agile. Has anyone found anything safe to use for large-scale coverage? I"ve done the old rubbing alcohol routine, but I don't know what is safe for CPs.

I have searched through the posts, and only found references to the alcohol and generic mentions of poisons. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Especially since the little &(*^(*&^(&jklFD*** bugs are also on one of my rose bushes.

Thanks,
    bp
    We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces
    Singing whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

1-20-13 = The End of an Error.

i think i planted them a little too close together... ne3p's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one thing you could try is the pesticide you get in pet shops (i had to use it on my budgie, when he got scaly face, as he wasn't tame enough to be handled). it's biodegradable, and is a nice spray. i used up the rest of the can on the aphids on one of my plants.

i haven't used it extensively though, so i wouldn't know about side effects. i can't see it being a problem though

the point at which you realise your friends are also nerds: you ask for a quadrant in the fourth dimension, and they say 10:00

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion. Too top it off, I also found a couple of japaneses beetles chewing on my flavas. First time I've seen that. I've killed grasshoppers on them in previous years. What I love about the south, everything down here bites, stings, chews or is poisonous.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    how about orthene/acephate? I use orthene 75 SP (soultable powder) when I have problems. 2 treatments about 5 days apart generally does it (sometimes a 3rd in another few days to feel safe ). I've seen it stop Drosera from dewing for a little while, other than that... No problem. This is a systemic "soulution" which means your plant absorbs it and kills what eats the plant. Which is why 2 treatments... To get the babies that were not eating the plants yet when you first applied...

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/se...searchid=30155 (orthene + acephate search)
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/se...searchid=30158 (only orthene search)
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again. I will pick some up tomorrow. I just hate using chemicals. I know it's necessary sometimes, but I just don't like it.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd say if you have a few plants.. you could go another way... but when it comes to a mass infection. Get the job done.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

i think i planted them a little too close together... ne3p's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the insecticide in the budgie spray that i'm using is a plant extract. i believe it is derived from chrysanthemum flowers, if that makes you feel any better about using something similar.

the point at which you realise your friends are also nerds: you ask for a quadrant in the fourth dimension, and they say 10:00

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyrethrim generally considered benign as pesticides go, along with Neem oil. Pyrethrim is not a systemic but it's good if you need to watch the bugs twitching to death.

Imidacloprid is a nicotine derivative and is a systemic insecticide, also considered rather benign as pesticides go - certainly more benign than Orthene.

Imidacloprid will take care of the Japanese beetles as well as the mealybugs.

You can look them up on http://www.pesticideinfo.org
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast