Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: COMPUTER HELP ---*URGENT*---

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    which Windows probably doesn't recognize.
    Use Linux discs for messing aronud wih partitions. Using windows CDs to partition is finicky even when you don't have partitions/OSes that it wont recognize. You should be able to boot off of a linux disc and do whatever partition-changes you need from there.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fixed it!!! WOOOOO! I am so happy!

I took an old floppy drive from my ancient computer and put it in my step brother's computer and then I installed PartitionMagic there and made new rescue disks... AND THEY WORKED!! Woooooohooooo!! I will have to use the rescue disks again because I forgot to make my E:\ drive active as well.. whoops! That drive has all my junk on it... anyways.. I'm done messing with partitions and Linux.. it's out of my league and simply unnecessary. I don't need it, I was just doing it out of curiosity.

Thanks for tyhe help guys, I really appreciate it!
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Glad you got it fixed.

I tell ya what, next time you want to try out using another OS, do it on a separate HDD (one not RAIDed with any other) so that there's nothing that can be lost or fuddled with. That's the easy way out, and works just fine if you've got a small harddrive sitting around somewhere.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I've thought of doing that, but it's definitely gonna wait a bit. I'm too spooked from that day-long fiasco I just had.. plus I don't feel like buying another HDD just yet.

On my old computer I had Windows 98 and Windows XP.. and i did that by accident, so it was EASY.. I guess I had kinda expected doing it with Linux to be the same.. but I was WRONG. I guess the RAID really is what screwed me up.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was wondering about that, any reason to be using a RAID configuration? Are you just using several smaller HDDs, or are you using one for backup, or what?

The problem with partitioning, as you've seen, is that linux works fine and dandy. The bootloader works, it works perfect, there's drivers for just about everything, and then there's generic drives for most everything else, you don't take HOURS updating, sitting in front of your computer waiting to have to restart and blah blah blah just so that Microsoft can have a problem with their genuine advantage BS and lock you out of updates leading you to misdiagnose the problem and reinstall 20 times over the course of a few days.

rrrr You get the picture. Windows doesn't like bootloaders. Windows doesn't like not being at the start of a drive. Windows doesn't like other OSs. >_<
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12