What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your hardiest plant?

In the fall, I was moving things around in my garage and noticed something odd in a bone-dry plant box that had housed some D. capensis a couple of months earlier. It had gone neglected and I never bothered to empty it out after transplanting. Well, there was a little speck of green poking up! I named it "Rasputin" and after an aphid outbreak shortly after, it has been doing very well.

Today I noticed a curl of D. binata sticking up in a pot that had been similarly abandoned after repotting and was as dry as can be and in my garage.

So I'd say that sprouting new life in a fairly dark garage in totally dry soil makes these my hardiest plants. Perhaps they don't really need as much water as we think?

Do any other plants defy the odds and surprise their owners?

This may sound nuts but Cephalotus.

I have never done more stupid stuff with this plant and it's doing great. When I first got it I left it on the kitchen table so the pitchers closed. I then gave it horrible light for a long time, I knocked the pot over once, I repeatedly pulled the humidity dome off and on the plant so it's pitcher close like mad, I left the pot dry for 5 days once, BONE DRY after it had been dry for 3 days, the pitchers closed a bit, but, all it does is pull through and thrive. It's also made a second growth point.

Basically, I'm just an idiot when it comes to Cephalotus and have been lucky so far. All my other plants I haven't knocked down, so I don't know who the barrel chest is out of the group.

my venus flytrap. i got it before i had any idea what i was doing. i drowned it (it was standing in a saucer the height of it's pot filled with water), kept it warm throughout winter, and had it on a windowsill that gets very little sunlight. after it had gone yellow, and rather long and stringy with no traps, and was flowering, i looked it up on the internet, and fixed the conditions. it's now a lot smaller than when i got it, but it's growing well

Our artificial Christmas tree is one tough plant. Every year I bring it out of the basement and, even though it will have spent 11 dry & dark months down there, the tree is always as green and shiny as it when we got it.

N. ventricosa for me, tho I tend to have pretty good luck with almost all species- as long as I keep 'em watered, they don't complain at all :D

U.gibba

:headwall:

S. Dana's Delight, or just about any Sarracenia.

D. capensis what happened was this: last summer I was gone for two months in Europe and I had my dad take care of my plants. Well, he forgot to water the capensis for one month and when I came back all I saw was a brown, crispy mess of what used to be a carnivorous plant. I thought that I could just buy a new one if this one had died, but I waterlogged it with distilled water for a week and after a week I saw new growth emerging from the stem. It was so amazing, it looked like a cage of brown encasing new growth! Now, the capensis is on my deck and is growing very well, I super sized it by feeding it bloodworms for a few weeks, now it is amazingly big!

N. northiana (one of the two)

Due to some accidents its been kept really dry (like 2 weeks between watering a few times), really wet...spent a few months at about 55°, the humidity occasionally will crash to about 10%, and the thing still looks good

My scorpoides and my cape,I seem to kill my rossetd dews though:(

N. sanguinea. the darn thing has a pitcher on every single leaf made...even since i got it back in december, changed growing conditions llike 3 times and burned it from keeping it outside too long. awesome plant!

When I think about it, whilst going through the CP learning curve, my longest surviving plants have been a D. binata I received from BCK, 3 years ago, as well as an N. Judith Finn I got from Snowy Falcon. They must pretty tough!

Back