What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad guys lose again

For some reason, this did not show up in "new posts".

Well, I guess I would have shot them too!

Yeah same. Makes you think twice before stealing somethin.

HEHE :-))

This is why we should be able to conceal guns.

Last edited:
Being a bad guy is a dangerous profession anywhere.

I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of a 71-year-old with a concealed weapons permit. I can understand wanting to defend yourself, but somebody got killed... that's absurd. Two kids robbing a Subway are nothing to be worried about. How much could they have gotten away with - maybe $200? Obviously these guys were small-time. I have some very serious doubts that that old dude was in any real danger. Fairly irresponsible if you ask me.
~Joe

I totally agree. As i said in another thread, when you feel scared its easy to misjudge situations as more severe than they really are. Then you may be more prone to react with lethal force when it may not be necessary. This is a perfect example of that.

mean was the man in any danger himself? OH MY GOD IM BEING FORCED INTO THE BATHROOM SO IM OUT OF THE WAY. Did he just want to be a hero? Lets face it most criminals are cowards. You gotta be cowardly to do stuff like that. Im betting that if those thugs thought they were gonna get shot they woulda scurried off like the cowards they are... er, were.

Sometimes I think that many people who so want the concealed weapons permits just like feeling powerful. Im the BIG man here, iv got a gun and I want you to know it so I wont get any flack. Because I like feeling like I can defend myself AND get the respect a man carrying a deadly weapon deserves. Some of these guys like it if others are intimidated, and not just criminals. People who might have gotten me pissed. How scared are ya now, do you REALLY wanna piss me off. Cause you cant fight DIS.

And that’s the exact sentiment I have gotten from several guys I know. No, no one here. But there are a lot of people like that, and it’s a little unsettling.

Thats not respect thats intimidation!

A head shot? A trained marine? I think that might be excessive force, not reasonable force.

xvart.

Two kids robbing a Subway are nothing to be worried about.
Not a big deal? I would like to see how big of a wet spot you would have left if you had been there.
The guy that died had a rap sheet a mile long, robbery, assualt, possession, car theft etc. He was a bad guy, a professional criminal. Will he be missed? No!

Two kids robbing a Subway are nothing to be worried about.
Are we as a society getting so used to this sort of thing, that it's "nothing to be worried about". That attitude bothers me more than the two armed kids robbing the store.

I guess it's like that ever present threat of terrorism. I guess you just get used to it and it becomes blasé after awhile. I mean, turn it on the news. I hear "murder murder murder rape armed robbery nuclear jihad politicians doing coke blah blah blah...." When that's all you hear everyday you get used to it. I guess we are just desensitized. And the scare tactics the media uses to get higher ratings contributes to the indifference most of us feel, I think.

For example, just the other day I saw a commercial.

"You won't BELIEVE what out action news team found in this supposedly organic bread from a local supplier! You won't want to miss this!!!!"

Of course, I didn't want to miss it because they said so. What could it be? Arsenic? Cyanide? I mean there's antifreeze in the toothpaste and plastic ingredients in the dog food. WHAT COULD BE IN THAT ORGANIC BREAD AND COULD IT KILL ME?

Well, I saw it. Guess what the amazing scandal was about? They were adding a preservative to the bread, the same preservative they add to ALL bread, and passing it off as organic. That was what the hype was about. This is what makes us desensitized.

Are we as a society getting so used to this sort of thing, that it's "nothing to be worried about".
Very well put.
The "nothing to be worried about" statement made me so mad I had to edit my post twice just to make it civil. As for not being comfortable about a 71 year old carrying a firearm...I believe the man proved his proficiency.

I don't feel bad for the guys. They took a gamble and unfortunately one lost his life.

He could have just as easily went to the subway the next day and asked for a job. He'd probably get turned down but at least he'd be alive today.

"mean was the man in any danger himself? OH MY GOD IM BEING FORCED INTO THE BATHROOM SO IM OUT OF THE WAY."

There have been plenty of instances where people have been moved somewhere else and beaten or even killed. I have no problem with the guy not wanting to take that chance.

Those two punks had a choice. They could put numerous peoples lives in danger, including their own. Or they could do like almost every other American and get a job.

That old man had a choice too. He could Let these punks do what ever they wanted to him and the other people around them. Possibly killing innocent people.

Those two punks put him in that position and one of them died. It's their own fault, not he Marines. He only did what we trained him to do, protect himself and other Americans. I hope he can get a medal for what he did.

Too many times you see punks get the loot and then shoot the people they are ripping off anyway. It's a shame he didn't get the second one too. Nobody has the right to threaten or take anyone's property, life or family. All three should be defended vigorously.

70% to 80% of all violent crimes are committed by repeat offenders. Draw your own conclusions.

What unnerves me the most is that these two weren't already in jail. As someone previously said the one that was killed had a "mile long record". If he had done all these things he should have been sent to jail for a long time, maybe a few months the first few times but after repeated offenses he should have spent a good several years in jail, he was only 22 years old, he obviously hadn't spent more than a year in jail for multiple offenses. There should be more severe penalties for repeated lawbreakers... not just prohibition. A rehabilitation center may have saved a life lost and another one severely injured, and wouldn't have put the old man in the position of killing people.

You could feed many starving families for a long time with just $200, what were these guys going to spend it on? Crack and Cocaine?

A few months ago, a guy in CT came home from work and his wife told him she thought a neighbor had molested their pre-school age daughter. He grabbed his gun and went over to confront the neighbor and ended up killing him. The father caught some breaks from the court and was only charged with manslaughter or something and will only serve several years in prison instead of decades. If he didn't have a gun, he might have beat the guy and a similarly sympathetic court would have given him a short sentence or community service. Last I heard, there was no evidence the molestation ever happened and now his family's life is totally messed up because he had that gun.

Sounds to me like that person had to business with a gun in the first place if he's so quick to kill.

Not all people who steal money are going to spend it on crack. Some really do spend it on their babies. Didn't someone mention someone stealing sheets or something? I mean, this is probably not the case but don't be so quick to say he was just going to buy crack.

A few months ago, a guy in CT came home from work and his wife told him she thought a neighbor had molested their pre-school age daughter. He grabbed his gun and went over to confront the neighbor and ended up killing him. The father caught some breaks from the court and was only charged with manslaughter or something and will only serve several years in prison instead of decades. If he didn't have a gun, he might have beat the guy and a similarly sympathetic court would have given him a short sentence or community service. Last I heard, there was no evidence the molestation ever happened and now his family's life is totally messed up because he had that gun.

This is a lot different. The marine did it to protect himself and other people from obviously bad people, the man with the gun thinking his neighbor molested his daughter did it out of anger and spite. The man did not completely analyze the situation either, he did it to protect people and may have saved his life and a few others, if you had a gun and were being pushed into a bathroom and God knows what was going to happen next I think you would try to stop it from happening if you could. This man could. He had a gun. He pulled it out and shot them. Probably not purposely to kill them but that's what happened with one.

JLAP: I know, but, he had already been found with drugs on him in the past, plus, I don't think your baby needs a car that you just got via Grand Theft Auto.

Back