What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't get proper sand right now

pedersonplants

The Obsessive Gardener
Hi:

I have plants soon to arrive. I can't get my son to ask him to pick up a bag of "swimming pool filter sand" that was recommended a couple of years ago.

I can't remember: Is there any reason I couldn't use some of my granite grit (fine--used for mulching container gardens) to add a bit of weight to the pots of cps?

I don't want to do something that might kill them right away. My only other option is to use just sphagnum peat and perlite.

Peat and perlite is OK if you can't get sand. I use play sand , but whatever you use I'd wash it. I used to not wash sand until I tried it, holy crap it's amazing how much dust and crap granite pebbles are in it.

As long as it's silica or quartz you're OK. I believe pool filter sand is silica sand.

Horticultural sand is fine too, it should be neutral. Get it the same place as your granite grit. Granite grit is the perfect substrate for Drosophyllum if you get any seeds.

Otherwise perlite is fine. Rinse it good first.

Personally, I think perlite is better for CP's
because
1. it is very light, so your pots can be carried
2. it is sterile
3. it is (usually) cleaner than sand, which could have other gross stuff in it
4. it doesn't float to the top if drainage is provided

(Now, before other growers start attacking my perlite opinion, I understand other people have other preferences)

I find sand a must in soil mixes for sarrs.
I got tired of always righting pots that blew over in storms that had a soil mix of equal parts of peat moss, perlite, and LFS. With some sand in the bottom of the pots I no longer have that problem.

Another thumbs up for perlite!

I've been using a coir/perlite mix lately and have decided that I like coir better than peat.

horticultural sand.. there's a brand called 'black gold' that is great! you can pick it up cheap at jerry's, home depot, or any hardware store in the garden section.

If it's like Black Beauty, also found at places like that, then it's coal slag.

I had to laugh. Someone told me to go to the same place I get the granite grit for my sand. They didn't know that this is the grit used by poultry farmers. I get it at our local Feed store! No sand there.

I've just potted up some utrics and vft using just the peat or peat/perlite mixture.

I'll NEED something heavier if I decide to order sarracenias this year.

My son REALLY gets on my nerves when he doesn't respond to my calls. I guess Mom has to get out my walker again tonight and walk over to his townehouse.

Can't you just put some rocks in the bottom of the pot?

I use just plain ol' rocks if I need to add some weight to a pot. Or I use lava rock but lava rock is of course rather light-weight for a rock.

Yup, I second PAK's comment. A handful of river rock in the bottom o' the pot and they stand up good.

Is there any reason, then, why some sifted granite grit wouldn't work. I'd sift it to get all the powdery stuff out. They leave it in for the poultry farmers because some chicks like the "powder" rather than the actual pieces of grit.

Actually, my cockatiel and lineolated parakeet enjoy a dish of this stuff for a plaything.

Back