What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

speed goat pics

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
73050252.jpg

73050251.jpg

They look so speedy.

Is that a wheat field? I always pictured them running in the open range; not hanging out in a green field. Though the living must be easier. At least until the rifles come out.

nah they would be safe but i will hopefully be after their daddy this fall :grin:

wheat fields.....short grass prairie.................whats the difference? :grin: they are actually running in a ditch alongside a highway..........they arent in the field.....atleast not until about another 20 seconds after the last pic.......actually i met them turning a corner on a dirt road.....surprised the hell out of all 4 of us :grin:

I swear every photo I've ever seen of them had nothing but brown in the background. I've heard one of the great evolutionary mysteries is why they're so much faster than any of their predators. Some say it's because an extinct predator must have been almost as fast. Being an analytic type, I was thinking that, because it's so far between each blade of grass in their brown habitat, that they need to run fast to get enough to eat before starving to death. Your photos pretty much kill that theory.

lol we have had alot of rain this year. its unusually green from here south through eastern Wyoming and eastern Colorado....got another half inch last night.....as to why they are so fast....easy answer, back before the last ice age there was an American version of the cheetah.......they are also one of the great success stories for American hunters.....back in the 20's their population had dropped to about 10,000 due to market hunting. due to pressure from hunters who wanted to keep them around all hunting of them was stopped for several years and seasons established when the population started making a comeback. today there are well over a million pronghorn though the population is down some since the 70's due to the fact that most are found in eastern Montana and Wyoming and this areas been in a drought cycle for the last 20 years............

You know Rattler, I have never known anyone who actually ate one. Have you? I would think they would be tough. I mean with all the muscle tissue they must have.

ofcource i eat them.........illegal as hell to waste the meat....actually its quite good, prolly the leanest meat of any big game animal so if yah over cook in a frying pan or on a grill it it gets quite tough. the only thing is you dont want one thats been run hard, they get a tad gamey when thats done. also due to the lack of fat in the tissue you really dont want to age them much. couple days max or the meat dries out. its not like beef or elk or deer where a week of hanging in cool conditions improves the quality. another problem is speed goat seasons are generally early and take place in t-shirt weather. if yah shoot one in the morning and have it bounce around in the back of the truck all day in 70 degree weather its not going to be the greatest eating....if its warm out we carry a couple big coolers with just ice, quarter the speed goat ASAP and get it on ice to cool down the meat.

also if your a fan of liver, pronghorn liver, i have been told, is the absolute best, much better than beef.....but im not a fan of liver.....

They are so cute! Speed goats. Like the name. :)

I am getting 2 toggenburg doelings there mama was a USA champion milker
there only 5 months old but that means there going to be curious and trouble making for ever. there disbudded so they won't get any horns but there going to get big like 120 pounds maybe I used to raise Nubian toggenburg crosses they used to have floppy ears and a more dossil personality.
The first picture perfectly discrides toggen burgs :D
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...&svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGIH_enUS209US209

A former roommate was an archaeologist and spent a summer back in the 80s supervising a dig somewhere in MT or WY. For publicity and donation-grubbing purposes, they got permission to shoot an antelope out of season and then butchered it in front of various VIPs with stone tools they made. My roommate stored the head (in a stream, I think) for the last couple weeks before driving back to Maine with that thing in a cooler. It was bad enough inside that cooler but, soon after he got back, I came home from work to an apartment reeking with the most awful, oily rotten smell ever. He was busy boiling everything off the head so he could have a clean skull. The moral of the story is that you want to add archaeologist to the list of careers to screen out when selecting a roommate.

Back