What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to Grow Outside

pedersonplants

The Obsessive Gardener
Hi: I have a nice collection going of Dionea, Drosera, Pinguicula, and Utricularias. They are all in 3 inch pots.

I was planning on growing these on my front porch. However, it gets SW sun and gets very warm sitting on the concrete porch. In fact I just pulled them in because the pots feel too warm--all are in sand/peat mixture that seems to warm up quite a bit!

I have another choice. I can use a large self watering rectangular planter. I'd put a layer of peat and sand in it to wick water out of the 4 gallon water reservoir. The pots would then be sunk up to their rims. Obviously, I'll still check them frequently and water as necessary. It would sit on the SE side of my back porch.

One advantage would be it that it already has a chicken wire cage over it to keep squirrels out.

People: My head is swimming from reading so MANY different care instructions. I am seeking a good growing site in my tiny garden.

Somehow, I don't think these plants can take that sw corner.

I have a choice of SE or SW outside. Alternatively, I am starting to think I might be better off moving everything inside under cool white shoplites. Which one would you make and why?

Southern Sun is the best sun their can be, they will color up nicely. I had mine sitting on concrete, its really no big deal, in the wild they have to deal with full sun all day, I'm sure the sun we get up north is nothing compared to what they get hit with more south.

Cp's are more sturdy than you think, WHAT exact species of Pings Utrics and Drosera do you have, I know the Dionea is fine.

Otherwise sounds like you are doing ok with water, and the soil requirements. I would go with South East sun Ive never had to worry about that though Ive always been able to plenty them where they get full southern sun.

Here is my list: Dionea (vft) typical
Drosera adelae
Drosera anglica
Drosera capensis
Drosera capillaris
Drosera intermedia
Drosera rotundifolia
Utricularia bisquamata
Utricularia caerulae
Utricularia graminifolia
Utricularia livida
Utricularia livida
Utricularia sandersonii
Utricularia sandersonii (white)
Utricularia simplex
Utricularia subulata
Utricularia warbugii
Utricularia Weser
Drosera binata

I am thinking of buying several plastic "dishpans", then putting a layer of long fibered spaghum in the bottom so the pots wouldn't be sitting directly on that hot concrete. They are so tiny to start with--I don't want to cook them!

I already have these inside under lights because of their tiny size: Pinguicula aphrodite
Pinguicula esseriana
Pinguicula jaumviensis
Pinguicula John Rizzi
Pinguicula piroutte
Pinguicula reticulata

Thanks for answering so quickly--I was actually feeling panic when I picked them up to bring inside for now and the soil felt so warm. They are so tiny to start with--I don't want to cook them!

I am not worried about putting the sarracenia out there because of two summers of prior experience.

Dionea (vft) typical
Drosera capensis
Drosera capillaris
Drosera intermedia
Drosera rotundifolia
Utricularia bisquamata
Utricularia livida
Drosera binata

All grow well for me in direct sun here in San Jose and easily survive ambient temps into the 100+ range every summer.

D. adelae grows best for me indoors under fluorescent lights. They take a wide range of temps and very low humidity, but it does not like direct sun here.

U. sandersonii made its best flowers here in outdoors in the spring, but I believe it was cooked in the summer heat here. perhaps a window that gets direct sun would be a good candidate for this one.

As for the rest of your list, I have no personal experience with them so I will defer comment to others on that.

Good luck
Steve

Dude, these plants grow in full sun where the highs can get 105f. As long as they stay wet there should be no problem.

If the Carolina sun don't burn them then I wouldn't worry too much about the Michigan sun.

I have growing:
Prehensi's
Bisquamata "Beatty's Bay"
Sandersonii Typical
Sandersonii "Blue"
Tricolor
There growing by my primuliflora
so not much light so your saying full
sun ? If yes I will adjust them to full sun.
Does that prompt some of them to flower
along with flooding/receeding of water?

My Sarracenia and a couple of my VFTs are growing on the SW side of my front steps and doing great. They are in palstic pots and I keep water in their trays so they are always wet.

Diana, if I may say so, you are making this way too hard. Your VFTs, and sarrs need full sun. Your northwest corner would be okay, but they really need to be in full sun. They don't need to be up to their rims in water. Just a pan with a couple of inches of water in it to keep them from drying out. The sun doesn't get that hot in Michigan, even in August. My VFTs and Sarrs are in full sun down here in Hotlanta. Your temperate sundews and binatas should be able to handle full, or almost full sun. They love it. Just don't let them dry out. Treat them like any other houseplant you may have outdoors. They aren't delicate little things. They can take whatever happens. We have members who live in the Arizona desert who grow their VFTs and Sarrs and some other plants out in full sun.

Put the books down, and put your plants outside. You may make mistakes. Learn from them and don't be afraid of them. Every once in a while you will see people with years of experience post here that they lost a plant or two, or even more. We all have different growing conditions and adjust accordingly. You may really surprise yourself when you see your plants take off and grow like crazy with very little help from you. Just keep them watered. If you have temperates, bring them in when temps drop below 20 or so. Put them back outside when it hits freezing or higher. Divide and repot right before they start growing in the spring.

I've read your other posts. I can tell you are very passionate about this, but you are trying way too hard and making this more complicated than it really is. Some plants need special conditions, but if you start with American temperates, you will have a very easy time of it. Get your confidence up, then branch out into other species and setups. You can do it. Your idea to set the pots in pans of water is fine. As long as they don't dry out, they can handle the temps.

Good luck. and let 'er rip! :bigthumpup:
Blaine

In the very middle of your yard where there are no fence, tree, or house shadows.

xvart.

For some reason I killed 2 vfts Grrr!!!!!!!! :censor:
I grow other things fine but for some reason I just had
to kill my only vfts.

Okay. Now I just contend with the squirrels. Time to get out the hardware cloth.

I will leave them in their trays on the front porch where they get about 6 hours of intense sun each day.

Yes, I am passionate about getting things right. Hate the thought of losing plants.

If you think I'm passionate about my plants, you should see me with my pet cockatiel and lineolated parakeet. But then bird people are always a bit nutty about taking care of them properly.

Back