What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water

Hello all, to water my CP's I buy distilled at the store like many people do. I found a couple of sources that I might think of using to water with. Just out side of were I live there is a small picnic area were there is an artesian well, were the water runs out of a pipe. From what research I have done the water just comes out of the ground by gravity, which should be all natural water right? Also there is a natural spring well on one of my friends land that never freezes or never gets above 50 degrees. Im just wondering if these two sources are usable. Thank you for your help.

I'm no water expert so someone else will have to weigh in, but my only concern would be possibly high on mineral content. Other than that, it might be good.

It entirely depends. If it's in a public place, I'd be afraid of pollution. I'm up here at the cabin and our water pipes are fed directly by a spring uphill. Our water is great, and live Sphagnum grows alongside the edge of the stream (in clay and rock, believe it or not!) but your spring may be liquid rock and loaded with macro nutrients. You'd have to get it tested.

If they were both equally pure, I'd use the privately owned spring since the threat of polluting pic-nicers isn't there.

Yeah, natural springs leech chemicals and minerals out of the surrounding rocks and soil. If you are going to use it, have it tested for pH and hardness. Want low or neutral pH and very soft water.

Thanks for the replys guys. Yeah I talked to my father about it and he said its very hard water:-( . I already used alot of it on my nepethes so i better go get dectilled water and flush em out. Grrrr. Thanks for telling me about the minerals.

Back