Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intersting water trivia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These totals must be based on Americans who dont realize how nice it is to have this much water. When I was in Jordan our flat designed for up to 6 people only got one cubic meter of water per week. I dont know how much this is in gallons but its not much water. I know the average american would be out of water after like one shower if they dont conserve it. Though this did answer that question that has been nagging me for months now, which is how much of a chicken is water. 75% it turns out. I can get some sleep tonight finally. LOL
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yes, us gardeners and our water consumption. We need to bioengineer plants that survive on sewage water!
    There's actually a lot of truth to this. A LOT of water is wasted on poorly managed agriculture. Average Joe gardener is fine for the most part (though, there are the folks who demand having a large non-native lawn and ensure that their sprinklers create as much runoff as possible.) Here in Cali I've seen some bizarre things- farms pop up in the middle of the desert just because they can get the water easily enough. Good thing there's no repercussions like massive scaling-back of fishing due to habitat disturbance (EG lack of water flow -> increased prevalence of certain diseases.) Much of California around where I live was desert until water was diverted (big time.)
    It's funny because when there's such big, blatant, allowed waste of water, I find it difficult to talk to person X about their leaking hose/car washing/whatever.

Est, you post cracked me up, especially the minions part!
    Glad to be of service.

These totals must be based on Americans who dont realize how nice it is to have this much water.
    Meet

I just don't buy that one. Check it out..one quart...maybe.
    Who is also meeting

I leave the water running (I know I shouldn't!) when I brush me teeth.
    >_<
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, My name's Clint and I'm an alco... Sorry I mean I run the water as I brush my teeth, like toilets that can flush properly, and take long showers. Sue me.

And, best of all, I'm on a well so it's really like I'm STEALING everyone else's water when I waste it.

*walks away and cackles heartily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cackle away. That well will never go dry as long as you keep plenty of water draining into your septic system.

Last month I noticed a lot of irrigation (ornamental, not agricultural) in St. Petersburg, FL is with "reclaimed" water. It's probably secondary sewage effluent, so it would take care of fertilizing too. It would be a bad choice for Sarrs, but the lawns and palms, etc. seemed happy.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    Last month I noticed a lot of irrigation (ornamental, not agricultural) in St. Petersburg, FL is with "reclaimed" water. It's probably secondary sewage effluent, so it would take care of fertilizing too. It would be a bad choice for Sarrs, but the lawns and palms, etc. seemed happy.
    Reclaimed water can also be refered to as "non-potable" water. It's good enough for watering lawns but not for drinking. Many times the only difference between non-pot water and tap water is whether it has been treated with chlorine. The plant I work at has between a 95% to 98% removal rate for the wastewater we treat and the water is returned to the Arkansas River. It could be used for agriculture or lawns, but we use it to keep the rafters and kyakers happily afloat
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12