Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Depot...

ITS A LION! GET IN THE CAR Npeaen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    Horrible and wrong idea. Cultivars ARE defined by genetics, which is why the only reason you can propagate them is vegetatively. If I crossed ventricosa and lowii I would not be able to start calling it N. 'Peter D'Amato', N. 'Hortus Botanicus', or N. 'Briggsiana' (all the same exact cross in case you're not familiar). Saying it is "defined by looks" is also a faulty argument because phenotype = genotype + environment. Therefore 1) all of the same cultivar will have the same exact genetics. All 'Dyeriana' is the same exact plant from 1890something. 2) penetrance and expressivity are affected by environment. My 'Dyeriana' will look different from someone else's if they keep it in less than ideal conditions.

And by the way, we already have enough of people mislabeling...no need to contribute to it more by not only doing it yourself but by telling newbies that its ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me wrong? Never.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vft guy in SJ View Post
    I label ANY unknown VFT as "typical". Unless I know from the actual propagator the true source, all VFT's are typical.

Steve
    That's what I do also. A VFT is unique enough just being a VFT without it having to be a "special" cultivar.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, it's true. The current cultivar rules for CP's are a joke.
    ... its all so friqin' confusin' ... i'll just call the home depot VFT's Larry, Moe, and Curly on the label... hopefuly that should clarify things -- at least in my lil' greenhouse. LOL ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drosera 'Albino', 'Emeralds Envy', and 'Charles Darwin' all breed true from seed. so its not fully genetics that come into play. i think the cultivar thing has been taken advantage of though. especialy for VFTs. there arent many VFT cultivars out there. but there are MANY forms. mistaking a form for a type can make people so confused.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glider14 View Post
    Drosera 'Albino', 'Emeralds Envy', and 'Charles Darwin' all breed true from seed. so its not fully genetics that come into play. i think the cultivar thing has been taken advantage of though. especialy for VFTs. there arent many VFT cultivars out there. but there are MANY forms. mistaking a form for a type can make people so confused.

Alex
    I thought if you could breed it from seed it wasn't a 'cultivar' but a 'form', or is that what you were getting at? (The wording of this post makes it sound like you are referring to 'Albino', 'Emeralds Envy', and 'Charles Darwin' as cultivars)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12