What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Depot...

• Thread starter rco911
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
I was at Home Depot the other day just picking up some supplies, and LO and Behold, what did I see???--- VFT's!

i try to ignore the VFT's, (since they are sick, moldy, and about to get thrown away) but I had to rescue these --- a shippment came in recently so they were not moldy yet. the one's i happened to stumble upon looked like VFT -'redline'? the one where the outer edge of the outer trap has a 'red line' -- or lipstick... so i bought one and gave it a good home with the rest of my carnivores. (i also bought another one, but it looked either like a typical VFT or just one with really BIG traps over WELL over 1 inch, looked like there was no stem, just big traps) ... in any event i rescued that one too...

i hate seein' all those guys go to waste...

I've been tempted, and given in, a few times as well. Things you buy from stores like lowes, safeway, home depot, are not necessarily bad investments, so don't feel bad.

As for the speculation as to the cultivar... Let me put it this way: There's enough confusion / utter garbage with cultivars from reputable sources. When you take in to account that these traps have been in some very strange and varying environmental conditions, it makes guessing cultivars a task not worth undertaking. After you've been growing them for a while, if they continue to consistently exhibit the traits of a cultivar, then you can feel free to label it as such (because a cultivar is defined by looks, not genetics.) However, as I said, even then it's still a bit muddled as many cultivars seem to share traits- too much fuzzy, subjective stuff going on.

Our store was blessed with not only the usual VFT's, but 5 P. primulifloras, 5 S. purpureas, and 5 sundews that I think are D. intermedia. Apparently, their supplier dictates what H.D. receives. So whatever they want to dump on them... they get.

if they continue to consistently exhibit the traits of a cultivar, then you can feel free to label it as such (because a cultivar is defined by looks, not genetics.)

Horrible and wrong idea. Cultivars ARE defined by genetics, which is why the only reason you can propagate them is vegetatively. If I crossed ventricosa and lowii I would not be able to start calling it N. 'Peter D'Amato', N. 'Hortus Botanicus', or N. 'Briggsiana' (all the same exact cross in case you're not familiar). Saying it is "defined by looks" is also a faulty argument because phenotype = genotype + environment. Therefore 1) all of the same cultivar will have the same exact genetics. All 'Dyeriana' is the same exact plant from 1890something. 2) penetrance and expressivity are affected by environment. My 'Dyeriana' will look different from someone else's if they keep it in less than ideal conditions.

And by the way, we already have enough of people mislabeling...no need to contribute to it more by not only doing it yourself but by telling newbies that its ok.

Horrible and wrong idea. Cultivars ARE defined by genetics, which is why the only reason you can propagate them is vegetatively.
While I agree with the sentiment, the way the rules for naming Carnivorus Plant cultivars is written, if the plant matches the description of the cultivar, then it is that cultivar. Unless it is stated in the description that it can only be propagated vegetatively or by tissue culture. By the same rules, if you have a tissue cultured plant that doesn't match the cultivar description, then it is not considered that cultivar.

Unfortunately, it's true. The current cultivar rules for CP's are a joke.

Most "cultivars" for VFTs aren't even cultivars. I think there is a single digit number of true, registered cultivars, but many people believe there are on the order of 30 or something different ones.

I label ANY unknown VFT as "typical". Unless I know from the actual propagator the true source, all VFT's are typical.

Steve

Horrible and wrong idea. Cultivars ARE defined by genetics, which is why the only reason you can propagate them is vegetatively. If I crossed ventricosa and lowii I would not be able to start calling it N. 'Peter D'Amato', N. 'Hortus Botanicus', or N. 'Briggsiana' (all the same exact cross in case you're not familiar). Saying it is "defined by looks" is also a faulty argument because phenotype = genotype + environment. Therefore 1) all of the same cultivar will have the same exact genetics. All 'Dyeriana' is the same exact plant from 1890something. 2) penetrance and expressivity are affected by environment. My 'Dyeriana' will look different from someone else's if they keep it in less than ideal conditions.

And by the way, we already have enough of people mislabeling...no need to contribute to it more by not only doing it yourself but by telling newbies that its ok.

lex-luthor-wrong1.jpg

I label ANY unknown VFT as "typical". Unless I know from the actual propagator the true source, all VFT's are typical.

Steve
That's what I do also. A VFT is unique enough just being a VFT without it having to be a "special" cultivar.

Unfortunately, it's true. The current cultivar rules for CP's are a joke.

... its all so friqin' confusin' ... i'll just call the home depot VFT's Larry, Moe, and Curly on the label... hopefuly that should clarify things -- at least in my lil' greenhouse. LOL ... :-))

Drosera 'Albino', 'Emeralds Envy', and 'Charles Darwin' all breed true from seed. so its not fully genetics that come into play. i think the cultivar thing has been taken advantage of though. especialy for VFTs. there arent many VFT cultivars out there. but there are MANY forms. mistaking a form for a type can make people so confused.

Alex

Drosera 'Albino', 'Emeralds Envy', and 'Charles Darwin' all breed true from seed. so its not fully genetics that come into play. i think the cultivar thing has been taken advantage of though. especialy for VFTs. there arent many VFT cultivars out there. but there are MANY forms. mistaking a form for a type can make people so confused.

Alex

I thought if you could breed it from seed it wasn't a 'cultivar' but a 'form', or is that what you were getting at? (The wording of this post makes it sound like you are referring to 'Albino', 'Emeralds Envy', and 'Charles Darwin' as cultivars)

Back