Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what should i get

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what should i get

so i wanna start a CP terrarium or tray under my dart frogs to catch the escaped fruit flies. what plants do u guys think would be good for this? Im gonna have them under CF bulbs. basically, im looking for whatever attracts fruitflies the best and are relatively easy to care for. Any suggestions?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably don't even need a terrarium. I grow most of my plants under CF lights with no terrarium. There are lots of great Nepenthes that will do well under lights outside an enclosure. You could try N. ventrata, N. maxima, or N. ventricosa.

You could also get some mexi pings or sundews. Any of the typicals would do fine in your setup. Sundews would certainly do an excellent job of catching stray fruit flies. My D. adelaes are covered with bugs.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are u sure i dont need a terrarium? during the winter, humidity actually drops down to 0% in my room. its 30-50% during the summer. Yea Ive heard the sundews attract fruitflies pretty well. Do nepenthes do the same or do they just sit there and get whatever strays happen to wander by

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A terrarium is probably the best choice, given your humidity, or lack thereof. But those stray fruit flies aren't likely to go in on their own. I'd recommend starting the terrarium, but keeping the plants in pots so they can be moved in or out of the terrarium. Few plants are happy with anything approaching 0% humidity, but many can be if they're only exposed to it for a day or two at a time. You can rotate plants into and out of the terrarium so some are out catching fruit flies while others are basking in humidity.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i might just put a humdifier next to the plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive had mine adapted to really low humidity, true theirs 0 room humidity, but theirs a small amount of ambient humidity as long as He is watering right, from the trays, the pots, and things like that.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meatslim View Post
    during the winter, humidity actually drops down to 0% in my room.
    Ugh... well in that case, lol.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to buy a hygrometer at a pet or fish shop to test your humidity. They aren't too expensive and you might be surprised to find your room is not 0. There are ways to raise the humidity.

I have some of my CPs in tanks and they do catch a few bugs. But the ones out of the tanks catch more.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast