Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do i even need an RO filter?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, the easiest way to answer your question is with a little experiment. People can speculate all sorts about the TDS levels, what else is in it, and if it should be alright, but if you do a test run and water some of your more-expendable plants with the water for a while you can definitively show if it will or will not work. This way you never have to worry about that gut feeling "could it be the water?"

And/or you could talk to an experienced member in Eugene and see if their plants have done fine with the tap water.

Lucky guy, you!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

michael1975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless your tap water is really lousy, I would think it would take a long time for you to find out if your plant's health has been deteriorating. I just spoke with the local university's botanical garden caretaker who told me that they have been using our tap water for the past year on their CPs with no ill effects. Ridetsu, does Portland have a botanical garden or another local source with CPs that you could call?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I'm here in Corvallis, and tap water is pretty much all I use. It should work for you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unless your tap water is really lousy, I would think it would take a long time for you to find out if your plant's health has been deteriorating.
    Granted. But at least it'll alleviate some of the potential worry, and most of the outside plants probably get flushed through with rainwater fairly frequently. So either the water is bad enough and it shows up, or it's fine / will take a good while for any ill effects to manifest in which case the rain flushes should take care of it.

Ridetsu, does Portland have a botanical garden or another local source with CPs that you could call?
    Good thinking!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eugene I was just there maybe a trade soetime

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridetsu View Post
    ...is 40 worthy of buying a 200 dollar system to clean out?
    My vote is to save your money and use it to buy a Pure or Brita faucet filter to remove the chlorine. That or set some water out for a day for the chlorine to gas off. You'll know it's done when there's no more flatulant sounds coming from it.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

musamusa1975 -- im in the SF Bay Area, but not east bay. im on the peninsula. my tap water is fine. i was thinking about getting an RO, but what the heck -- its been 4 years, and all plants are fine... thriving in fact. MAYBE if i had a little extra $$ i would get one, but i'd rather use that in supplies or better yet --- more plants!!

i read somewhere that the PPM (parts per million) of dissolved solids in the water should be no more than 110 for CP. I called the north coast water district and inquired about my city's water and they stated average is 120 (although it fluxuates, from 20 at the lowest to 180 at the highest).. but again, all my plants are fine, its been 4 years...

one stratagey i heard someone say was that you can mix your tap with distilled so the PPM for that particular dose of water you are giving your plant is actually LESS that what it would be if you were to use pure tap water...

but anyway, i haven't done that since my CP have been doing fine. just a thought

michael1975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EBMUD, the company that provides water to where I live, returned my call this morning and said that the tap water TDS level is roughly 53-68 ppm.

I agree--go with tap water--more money for plants!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast