Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do i even need an RO filter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do i even need an RO filter?

So, after getting a PPM tester and putting it to use, i discovered that the water filter i had previously bought didn't filter anything out bu the viruses in the water - and even added potassium into the water which increases the PPM.
    So i took that out and am sending it back today.
    My water here though, is 40 PPM... i live in Eugene Oregon, which operates from the same water that Portland Oregon does (who apparently has the cleanest municipal water supply in the country).

So i was out looking for an RO filter, and one of the best i could find that suited my needs was about 200 dollars, and fifty dollars shipping... cripes almighty, 250 dollars for a counter-top unit to remove 40 PPM? Should i even bother to get an RO filter? If you still think i should, got any suggestions?
    ~The Fallen and Forgotten~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought 40PPM was good?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... 50 dollars shipping? Dude they just charge 50 dollars shipping to make the price look better. Shipping shouldn't be more than 15 bucks tops. I wouldn't give them my business for the sole reason that they did that.

Mine came from like.. the Netherlands and shipping was just 20 bucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes_ak View Post
    I thought 40PPM was good?

it is good - 100 is the max i would subject to a CP. But i mean.. is 40 worthy of buying a 200 dollar system to clean out?

and aye, the 50 in shipping is horrendous... they only do it to make the price seem mroe attractive.
    ~The Fallen and Forgotten~

michael1975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny--I have the same question. I was just about convinced to buy an RO filter when I hear that the water here is good. I live in Oakland, CA and have been told that the TDS in the tap water is very low. I was recently told by a fairly knowledgeable source that SF water is as good as distilled water--though I've been trying to verify if the same holds true for the East Bay which gets its water from the Mekolumne river and not Hetch Hetchy like SF. Any local East Bay CPers use tap water by any chance?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your collection is small, buying distilled water from the grocery store might be adequate, economically. If your region receives adequate rainfall, you can set up a plastic trash can to collect the rain and fill gallon jugs of milk or juice, as I do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That $50 shipping isn't actually high. My unit weighed about 35 lbs total and came in two boxes. One for the unit, and one for the bladder tank. I just ran the shipping calculator on UPS.com and from CA to IL it would cost $48 for ground transportation. Shipping costs are rough sometimes.
    -Nate
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not go flat rate? Must have been big!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast