Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Global warming?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    We also live on a planet that looks nothing like it ever has before and has had severe weather and climate changes so many times.

xvart.
    also just try looking at forest covers all over before civilisation

Having lived in India and travelled to many of the Indian places by road...I can CONFIDENTLY say that there is no such tropical forest there apart from its remnants which are small patches.

Life on earth has evolved for millions of years. Forest fires have burnt down big great forests, but they have then been rejuvinated as the nutrients are returned to the soil.

All I can say is: Try to take an outsider perspective. Imagine yourself for a second being a spectator looking at earth hundreds of years ago: Its diversity and richness. Compare that to now. Just look at how useful trees are to soaking up the carbon. Once again....a forest is not the same as having an exotic tree planted in your backyard. In the forest, each tree is its own ecosystem. Everything eventually boils down to "wise use". Yes, there have been hotter years before, but look at the data people posted above: nearly more than 5 to 6 years since 2000, global temps are hitting an all time high. There is increased flooding and other natural disasters. There is an attenborough video which shows how ice is just collapsing at the poles.

aahh...I know I veered off into another topic. But, still they are all related.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vraev in the last 4000 years the Sahara region went from grasslands to desert, suppose that was our faul as well? not disagreeing that mans wiping out forests in areas but MAJOR changes also started before the industrial revolution.

Finch.....they must not have changed it everywhere......i know they are being damn quiet about changing the data.

go here:
    http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/Fig.D.txt

and start ranking the years........NASA has just fixed these numbers in the last week or two. what apparently happened is a math/statistics nut type person was looking over NASA's graph of data of temps over the lat 100 years and noted a statistical anomaly with the data from Jan. 1 2000 to present. this guy looks at numbers all day every day and something didnt look right. he contacted NASA for their algorithm. NASA refused so by going by thier data he reverse engineered the algorithm. and sure enough their was a "bug" in it as a result of Y2K. Steve McIntyre contacted NASA's Reto Ruedy and James Hansen(the guys who put together the graph) and showed them the problem, Ruedy replied and acknowledged the problem as an "oversight" that would be fixed in the next data refresh.

so NASA's old data is screwed up, any stories using that data are WRONG........please see the above list i posted and see if you come up with a different ranking from th 1-10 list i posted above.................
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

I drink to make others more interesting. bpullin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve McIntyre, who operates the site climateaudit.org, while inspecting historical temperature graphs, noticed a strange discontinuity, or “jump” in many locations, all occurring around the time of January, 2000.

These graphs were created by NASA’s Reto Ruedy and James Hansen (who shot to fame when he accused the administration of trying to censor his views on climate change). Hansen refused to provide [McIntyre ]with the algorithm used to generate graph data, so McKintyre reverse-engineered it. The result appeared to be a Y2K bug in the handling of the raw data.

[McIntyre] notified the pair of the bug; Ruedy replied and acknowledged the problem as an “oversight” that would be fixed in the next data refresh.

NASA has now silently released corrected figures, and the changes are truly astounding. The warmest year on record is now 1934. 1998 (long trumpeted by the media as record-breaking) moves to second place. 1921 takes third. In fact, 5 of the 10 warmest years on record now all occur before World War II. Anthony Watts has put the new data in chart form, along with a more detailed summary of the events.

The effect of the correction on global temperatures is minor (some 1-2% less warming than originally thought), but the effect on the US global warming propaganda machine could be huge.
    We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces
    Singing whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

1-20-13 = The End of an Error.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's amazing how desperate people with latch on to any tiny anomaly in hopes that it's make the truth go away.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php...-and-all-that/

To quote the webpage, which actually does real analysis, the effect of this correction is absolutely insignificant.

And rattler, desertification is a red herring - it has more to do with management of soil and water resources than actual temperature. The Dust Bowl happened in the US because of poor soil management, not temperature. Try to stay on topic.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what in the hell does the dust bowl have to do with anything..........i didnt once bring it up......what i brought up is the fact that one of the main places ppl screaming about global warming saying that present day is warmer than the past as far as scientifically recorded temps is WRONG cause they f'ed up.

yah know what...................im done...................
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what i brought up is the fact that one of the main places ppl screaming about global warming saying that present day is warmer than the past as far as scientifically recorded temps is WRONG cause they f'ed up.
    Did you even read the link? Evidently not. The previous difference between 1934 and 1998 was 0.01 C, and now it's 0.02 C in the other direction.

That the largest point changed is totally irrelevant - what matters is the statistical results which showed that there was no significant difference.

You want to know the *REAL* truth? We moved to a new data source, and in spite of calibrations, there was a miniscule offset which snuck through. It was quickly spotted and corrected, and this alteration had no effect whatsoever on the overall conclusions beyond a trivial re-ordering of a list.

Read. The. Links.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You! Over there! Your mother wears combat boots!

And you! Over there! I know you are but what am I!?!

OK, now that we're past all that, let's look for some common ground here. I think just about all of us can (or should) agree that Al Gore is an awful front man for any cause he might step in front of. We should also agree that both sides have a large number of uninformed zealots. I won't say which side I think has more, because I'm looking for common ground. Finally, I think we should all agree that various industries are bankrolling the anti-global warming advocacy movement not out of some newfound concern for truth, but because they make money from the existing framework. Anyone who can't agree with those three points is a fool.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AND... whether or not global warming is fact or fiction, I believe it has at least to some degree got people about thinking about important life decisions and making people become better consumers in terms of renewable resources and environmental effects.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast