Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to China; tips?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you will have a great time, good luck with everything and take lots of pics for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that it might just depend on the situation on how much you want to stand out. When I went to Costa Rica, we decided to visit a local mall. It was a really interesting experience. With some of the stores I went into, when spotted as an American, I suddenly had two personal shoppers picking things out and shoving me into dressing rooms to try on stuff. Hehe it was hard trying to tell them I didn't have $100 to spend on a soccer outfit.

But by no means take it as you have to blend in, just bring a mix of things so you can respond to stuff as you feel you need to. 8)

Nate
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start taking a probiotic now, that is my suggestion
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

michael1975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha! I was in China about two weeks ago. In the south it was in the mid-90s with VERY high humidity. Beijing was a drop cooler. And yes, the pollution was horrible--at least in the cities--frequent showers help. If you get to do any travelling, Hangzhou is a great place to visit--as it Hong Kong--but you'll need another visa for HK. Didn't see too much in the way of CPs though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you'll be there with natives, you'll have a much more rewarding time than most visitors. Even if you see fewer places than others do, you'll experience more of each.

My father-in-law was a Chinese interpreter in the Korean War and later went to China a few times in his working life. My advice is to be careful of the food. Of his many stories, the one that stands out in my mind was a restaurant that served monkey brains from living monkeys. I'd pay a lot of money to lose that mental image.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    Start taking a probiotic now, that is my suggestion
    Why do you say that? Do you have any information on what type? I'm guessing you assume I will be taking antibiotics for stomach ailments?

Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    Since you'll be there with natives, you'll have a much more rewarding time than most visitors. Even if you see fewer places than others do, you'll experience more of each.

My father-in-law was a Chinese interpreter in the Korean War and later went to China a few times in his working life. My advice is to be careful of the food. Of his many stories, the one that stands out in my mind was a restaurant that served monkey brains from living monkeys. I'd pay a lot of money to lose that mental image.
    It's actually kind of a strange thing, because my friend and his family living here haven't visited China since they moved here, around 10 years ago, and at that time, my friend was around 5 years old. Although that doesn't mean that they won't know China very well, it just means that we will most likely see a lot of what the tourists see.

That story 'bout the monkey brains is kinda scary. Oh heck, it's friggen' wrong! I'll try to avoid eating anything that's coming from something alive. Although, I do want to try dog... if it's true that they eat dog there.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool trip! My dad just got back from China. He went to three different cities (can't remember the names now...). For a $120 dollar donation to the panda conservation he was allowed to hold one of the baby panda's for the duration of time that it takes a panda to eat a bamboo shoot. The pictures he sent back were amazing. I've always wanted to visit east Asia. Can't wait to see your pictures!

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allot of anti-biotics that say help you stop stuff in Other country's you have to take weeks in advanced for them to work. So if you took them you could maybe drink water, but I would still be wary. But its not like your going to the amazon, but still couldn't hurt!

They eat dog in Korea and areas near Korea, the thing about china is that its VERY diverse, many different cultures The northern, southern and cultures. (thank you discovery)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast