Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Going to China; tips?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By probiotics Travis means something like Lactobacillus acidophilus. This is one of the major beneficial bacteria that lives in the human gut and will aid in digestion, help maintain other beneficial bacteria and boost your immune system.

You can find acidophilus capsules at any health food/vitamin store, usually in the refrigerated section (live culture). There are some brands that don't require refrigeration and you can sometimes find those in the vitamin/health supplement sections of supermarkets or drug stores. If you can find the non-refrigerated kind you may want to take some along. The live cultures usually have a higher bacteria count and are more effective more quickly.

Or just eat live culture yogurt or soft cheese like brie for a few weeks before hand which are also loaded with beneficial bacteria. You won't find many dairy products over there so you may as well get your fill now.

As for standing out in the crowd it shouldn't be a problem in Beijing and Wuhan. Both areas should see a lot of Westeners due to tourism and commerce.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take those capsules It feels weird eating them, because each capsule contains like 5 billion organisms. Saying "I just ate 15 billions organisms" sounds weird lol.

I thought probiotics were substances (enzymes/nutrients/other chemicals) that helped the pre-existing bacteria, not actual bacteria it's self. You learn something new everyday!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    China is great!!! You'll have a wonderful time. Yes, some of the food is strange, but you can always find good eats. And it's more and more modern every day. I personally think Shanghai is the craziest city in the world - makes us look dead in the water with their building, energy, and bustle. Beijing is a little more old-school, but has more of a sense of history.

Be careful with the "low end" food, and you should be fine, too. Take a ton of pictures, be prepared to deal with some unexpected customs, and have a great time!

Max
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See if there is any Chinese CP's.
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

culure

I am Chinese so here are a few tips ,..... In our tradition you should eat with chopsticks and sit up straight you should try to,learn to speak Chinese because that will help you with food, souviners,etc. thats pretty much it because everbody told you the rest
    (p.s food will taste different they eat regular stuff but will also , in some places eat snake crocodile,bats,monke,etc. its a shame )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    我会中文。 我的中文不好, as you can probably tell since I have to write this in English. But I know how to write around 120 characters, so I figure I'll be mostly good. 我喜欢吃饺子. I'm good with chopsticks, and I often have dinner at my friend's house. Lol, I'm such a moocher.

I think I'll prolly just eat yogurt, although I'll try to find those pills to take along, too. I already am taking 100g of minocycline (minocin) everyday for acne, so I think that should help with traveller's diarrhea.

I dunno if I'll have time to do anything like look for CPs, because we will be touring with his family most of the time. And also, they probably don't care much for them. But I'll take pics of any strange plants at markets!

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooch! Minocycline is tough stuff. Don't let it expire! If you're taking an internal antibiotic, that sort of defeats the purpose of taking probiotics.

I want to ride a segway across the entire Great Wall. And they call me eccentric...

The Obsessive Gardener pedersonplants's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take your own Immodium with you for that tourist diarhea! Wish I had it when I lived in Honduras for 6 months.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast