Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Going to China; tips?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My father had troubles sending attachments because of the internet restrictions in China. I tried explaining to him about photobucket and imageshack to share his photos. My impression of you, Ben, is that you are a little more savvy with sharing photos, even behind "the great firewall" of China, lol.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No licensed vaccines for prevention of rickettsial infections are commercially available in the United States."
    How very odd, when inquiring about what vaccines I would need for the Yucatan I was told to get the typhus vaccine... Wonder if the Dr. was off her rocker?? Or maybe since I am at Emory and we are affiliated with CDC we have access to stuff not normally available (though that seems a little unethical.)

Yeah, figured it would be tetracycline or a derivative. Should work fine against R. prowazekii in the event you do get it. However, it will also take down the probiotics so if you do decide to go that route then go for the one in the morning and the other at night routine and keep up a daily dose the whole time you are over there.

You're right, my doctor had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned "gut flora".
    Like I said, he isn't a microbiologist Even more evident when you take into account this passage from you PDF:

To reduce the development of drug-resistant bacteria and maintain the effectiveness of Minocin (minocycline hydrochloride) Pellet-Filled Capsules and other antibacterial drugs, Minocin (minocycline hydrochloride) Pellet-Filled Capsules should be used only to treat or prevent infections that are proven or strongly suspected to be caused by bacteria.
    Unfortunatly dermatologists are very high among those who over prescribe antibiotics. But I said I would not preach so I'll just shut up...
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a typhoid vaccine, but typhoid's a different beast than typhus.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I'm glad that it works against that type of typhus. Although, because my dosage is now two pills a day, I think I am supposed to take one in the morning and one in the evening, although my doctor did not say this, nor do the instructions on the bottle. If I do take one at different ends of the day, then I wouldn't be able to take the probiotics. But if I take both at the same time, I could. Just that I think I'm supposed to have level amounts of the antibiotic in me at all times to kill the bacteria that cause acne or whatever. I really don't know what is better.

I realize that taking antibiotics at a rate like this is not good at all, but I really don't like acne, either.

I figured typhus and typhoid were different, because the CDC had them on different pages.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    My father had troubles sending attachments because of the internet restrictions in China. I tried explaining to him about photobucket and imageshack to share his photos. My impression of you, Ben, is that you are a little more savvy with sharing photos, even behind "the great firewall" of China, lol.

xvart.
    Heh, are you saying I'm on a mission to upload pictures in China before I come back to America?

-Ben
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol. Well, Ben, I know how much everyone here loves your photos; so I figured some people would be demanding to see your pictures! Or, just warning you because we all wouldn't want you to get locked up in a Chinese prison camp like Jack Bauer in "24!"

xvart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol I think my parents were obsessed with that show. Why did he go to prison in China?

-Ben
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drosera36 View Post
    Why did he go to prison in China?
    He went on a trip to China (Beijing, Wuhan, and then Shiyan) with a friend and tried to upload pictures through attachments.

Actually he was on a raid in the chinese embassy and a Chinese guard was killed by friendly fire; but they accused Jack of doing it.

xvart.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast