Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Going to China; tips?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    There's a typhoid vaccine, but typhoid's a different beast than typhus.
    Yes, Bruce, I know this. I think I have mentioned a few times that I'm a microbiologist

My only guess is that I am remembering my conversation with the Dr. incorrectly. It was 3 years ago...

Ben, you could try taking the probiotic at midday if you are doing a morning/night rotation on the antibiotic. MIght work. And I am trying to find a key to see if any of the species in that probiotic are naturally resistant to tetracyclines...

I realize that taking antibiotics at a rate like this is not good at all, but I really don't like acne, either.
    As I said, I was not trying to preach but I sometimes get carried away. Sorry for that, I really am not trying to harp on you. I'll shut up about it.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, but I looked up the probiotic that you take, and it seemed to be very expensive. But maybe only on that one site?

My parents really don't see any benefit for taking probiotics, so I'll prolly just end up eating yogurt, although I dunno if that will help much. There is some new yogurt called "Activia" with Bifidus regularis.

I'm not mad or anything at you for saying that about the over-use of the antibiotics, I'm just saying I sort of got myself into this, and might as well finish.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is expensive which is another reason I only advocate taking it every 2-3 days afer an initial innoculation period.

Yogurt is fine, does not have to be "Activa" as there is really nothing special about the Danon strain other then they bred it for their purposes so they could slap a lable on it and hold a patent. Plain old run of the mill yogurt is fine. Only thing with yogurt to consider is that commercial brands typically only have 1 species in them so either mix and match brands or find something else to suppliment (Kim Che, soft cheeses like bree and the like).

I can understand your parents perception and it is dufficult to argue the case but there are a lot of good resources if you want to look into it further. That choice is yours though.

I knew you were not mad at what I was saying but reading back it was obvious to me that I was starting to harp. An unbecoming trait I have that I am trying to work on. You did not get yourself into anything. I mean seriously, how do my personal feelings about the over use of antibiotics have anything to do with you going to China??
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    (Kim Che, soft cheeses like bree and the like)
    Really? Kimchi works? I thought it was just spicy Korean stuff.

You did not get yourself into anything. I mean seriously, how do my personal feelings about the over use of antibiotics have anything to do with you going to China??
    Actually, I meant I got myself into getting "treated" for acne.

-Ben
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kimchi is spicy cabbage....
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's why I was sorta confused. But I just read that it is fermented, so I guess it harbors some sort of bacteria.

-Ben
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Kimchi is a spicky cabbage dish of Korean origin. But the fermentation process is bacterial and they do not usually pasturize it so it is a good probiotic source. Ditto sourkraut. Basically anything that is formed by bacterial processes is good except for hard cheeses.

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I should have posted this sooner, but my dad said just two days before I was to leave that I could not go. It had something to do with him not feeling comfortable because my friend's family did not give him enough information about where we were staying. I was really upset about this, and that's why I guess I didn't post sooner.

But, my brother had planned a trip to Koblenz to visit my Oma (gramma), and he asked if I wanted to come along. So, now in 4 days I'm going to Germany for around 10 days. I know this trip does not even compare to China, but it's all I got and I haven't been to Germany for a few years, so I decided to come along. I know of several CP places there, so we might go.

-Ben
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast