What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to China; tips?

There's a typhoid vaccine, but typhoid's a different beast than typhus.

Yes, Bruce, I know this. I think I have mentioned a few times that I'm a microbiologist :)

My only guess is that I am remembering my conversation with the Dr. incorrectly. It was 3 years ago...

Ben, you could try taking the probiotic at midday if you are doing a morning/night rotation on the antibiotic. MIght work. And I am trying to find a key to see if any of the species in that probiotic are naturally resistant to tetracyclines...

I realize that taking antibiotics at a rate like this is not good at all, but I really don't like acne, either.

As I said, I was not trying to preach but I sometimes get carried away. Sorry for that, I really am not trying to harp on you. I'll shut up about it. :blush:

Ok, but I looked up the probiotic that you take, and it seemed to be very expensive. But maybe only on that one site?

My parents really don't see any benefit for taking probiotics, so I'll prolly just end up eating yogurt, although I dunno if that will help much. There is some new yogurt called "Activia" with Bifidus regularis.

I'm not mad or anything at you for saying that about the over-use of the antibiotics, I'm just saying I sort of got myself into this, and might as well finish.

-Ben

Yes it is expensive which is another reason I only advocate taking it every 2-3 days afer an initial innoculation period.

Yogurt is fine, does not have to be "Activa" as there is really nothing special about the Danon strain other then they bred it for their purposes so they could slap a lable on it and hold a patent. Plain old run of the mill yogurt is fine. Only thing with yogurt to consider is that commercial brands typically only have 1 species in them so either mix and match brands or find something else to suppliment (Kim Che, soft cheeses like bree and the like).

I can understand your parents perception and it is dufficult to argue the case but there are a lot of good resources if you want to look into it further. That choice is yours though.

I knew you were not mad at what I was saying but reading back it was obvious to me that I was starting to harp. An unbecoming trait I have that I am trying to work on. You did not get yourself into anything. I mean seriously, how do my personal feelings about the over use of antibiotics have anything to do with you going to China?? :)

(Kim Che, soft cheeses like bree and the like)

Really? Kimchi works? I thought it was just spicy Korean stuff.

You did not get yourself into anything. I mean seriously, how do my personal feelings about the over use of antibiotics have anything to do with you going to China?? :)

Actually, I meant I got myself into getting "treated" for acne.

-Ben

Yeah that's why I was sorta confused. But I just read that it is fermented, so I guess it harbors some sort of bacteria.

-Ben

Yes, Kimchi is a spicky cabbage dish of Korean origin. But the fermentation process is bacterial and they do not usually pasturize it so it is a good probiotic source. Ditto sourkraut. Basically anything that is formed by bacterial processes is good except for hard cheeses.

I know I should have posted this sooner, but my dad said just two days before I was to leave that I could not go. It had something to do with him not feeling comfortable because my friend's family did not give him enough information about where we were staying. I was really upset about this, and that's why I guess I didn't post sooner.

But, my brother had planned a trip to Koblenz to visit my Oma (gramma), and he asked if I wanted to come along. So, now in 4 days I'm going to Germany for around 10 days. I know this trip does not even compare to China, but it's all I got and I haven't been to Germany for a few years, so I decided to come along. I know of several CP places there, so we might go.

-Ben

I'm sorry it didn't go your way. As a parent, I feel qualified to say parents can really mess things up.

..Two days before? Did he not have enough time to get more information?

To be honest, I'd take Germany over China any day.

Yeah dude Germany is so legit. I spent a good chunk of my life there, and I feel living there really prepared me for life and gave me a great outlook on things. Yeah, the government sucks, but hey, at least you don't have to worry about freaking typhus.

Yeah I know Germany's really cool and stuff, my brother lived there for 3 years, and I've been there several times when I was younger. But it's just that I guess the "suspense" or excitement that built up for like over a month just came crashing down on me all of a sudden. It hurt.

My dad had all those weeks to talk with my friend's parents, but he used the 2 weeks before my trip to discuss important things with them. And he asked for information like names and telephone numbers and things, and he asked "3 times" and they didn't give him anything but an address for my friend's father's sister's husband's workplace. And even though I could have just emailed my dad the addresses and things or even called him with my cell while in China, he didn't feel comfortable.

-Ben

With a brother living there and you having been there several times already, Germany definitely lacks the suspense of China. Is that the same part of Germany you've been to before?

No, I haven't been to this part of Germany before (except for maybe when I was a baby?). My brother says that the town is full of old people. But, there are lots of castles there that he and I would see. Also, we'd prolly end up going to Frankfurt and also to Tübingen, which is where my brother stayed for those years and where I visited several times, although I haven't been there for at least 7 years, but the memories I had of that town seem to be very happy memories. (I was like 7 when I went there last.)

-Ben

Good news for you! The legal drinking age in Germany is FOURTEEN if accompanied by a guardian!

Back