Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Hummers 2007 - Dial up beware

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ilbasso View Post
    Where does he live? That's just gorgeous.
    Just north of Richmond, VA. It's worth the trip - the diversity of the CP as well as associated bog plants / flowers along w/ bog wildlife is remarkable.

While John usually just makes one 'guided' tour around the bog, you can spend as much times as you want doing solo exploring (but staying on the boardwalk**). Like most wild areas, the more time you spend looking - the more cool stuff you find. Also, before & after the tour, there is a great opportunity to meet other folks who are typically interested in CP or native plant enthusiasts.

** before I went down the 1st time, I envisioned a 'boardwalk' similar to those found in parks. Not. This boardwalk is a narrow 'board' walk which snakes around the edge of this bog / pond / marsh.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (but staying on the boardwalk).
    lol This is true.

John's place is indeed amazing. As you can see, you can get some awsome photographs. I've been lucky enough to go there but its pretty easy for me...he only lives about 30 min. up the road from my house. A death in the family changed my plans for going this time. My camera was broken at the time I went so I didn't get any photos. I was SO disappointed.

Ron...when did you go there?

Virginia happens to have a lot of well-known CPers...Don Schnell, John Hummer, Bill Scholl, Rob Sacilotto (Botanique). Bill Scholl lives not too far away from John I believe. Meadowview isn't far from John's place either.

So...some of y'all need to move to VA. (One of these days I'm gonna get someone to move to Richmond.) hehe
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    that is very very very very cool!! How were the mosquitoes though? That would be awesome to see something like that!
    No mosquitoes here.
    He has aquatic bladderworts and lots of Aldrovanda vesiculosa growing in the bog.

PAK,
    Ron went last year with myself and Gale.
    We all went to Rob's on Sunday after Johns.

Here's the thread.

John Hummer's / Rob Sacilotto at his nursery Botanique 2006
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=104446

I did not mention anything to Rob about visiting last weekend.

One of these times I'm going to see about getting to Meadowview......... Maybe if I go down in the October tour at Johns. I will camp somewhere close to Richmond instead of staying at my sisters in Charlottesville. Then it will not be that far to hit Meadowview for me.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

I drink to make others more interesting. bpullin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sweet. Are his tours by invitation only? If not, how does one find out when they are, and how to get to his site?
    We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces
    Singing whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

1-20-13 = The End of an Error.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12