Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: R/O Unit Problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh.. is the flow restricter the thing that has 4 tubes coming out of it? Because.. I don't remember that thing having any sort of knob or anything on it... There's the knob that I use to flush it.. and there's that other knob thing that I used to replace a missing part. (Yeah there were like 2 parts missing..)

And no I didn't fill the tank twice, I meant everything else. :P But I've been draining what it's had over and over again.. but I've been testing it as well.

It's still at 42. :/ The flow STARTS at 52.. then it goes to 42.. dunno how.. it just does.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    no, the 4 tube thing is the ASO (automatic shut off) the flow restrictor goes in the brine line... your instructions show this: http://www.aquasafecanada.com/flow%20restrictor.jpg

was that part missing and you used a 90 shut off? if so (get them to send the right thing) and adjust the flow as described above.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That thing is the thing that I used as a spare part.. but there is a brass part on the waste line and that's the knob I use to flush the unit.. I always keep it closed except when I flush the system. I don't think any water gets through when it's open. I had earlier assumed that the part that I used as a spare was supposed to replace the brass part but the connectors are different.. on the brass one there are quick connects on each side. On the makeshift spare part, there's a quick connect on one side and then thread on the other. I don't really understand it as I don't think it was directly mentioned in the instructions....

They also won't send me the right thing, but they told me to just buy a new one and they'll reimburse me.. which they said when I told them about the other spare part. It was a cheap part so I didn't worry about the reimbursement.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    uhh... i'm going to IM you LOL This is WRONG
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you get it worked out.
    that spare part isn't a spare part. it's needed for your filter to work properly.
    have you looked at any of the online diagrams to see where everything is and the function of each part?
    you and your plants will love it once you get it working.
    peace,
    Zero
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aqua safe has gone to an adjustable flow restrictor... IIRC their instructions tell you to tighten it till it is a trickle, then open it up until a flow is evident... then adjust till you get the brine rate where you want it

ive never seen one, but it sounds like it is nothing more then an AFC (adjustable flow control) prob a needle valve

but you never want to totally restrict your brine output

Chrono, the squarish thing with the four lines... as Andrew said that is your ASO, if you look at it carefully you will see that 2 of the 4 ports are marked "in and out" and the other two ports are unmarked... it is critical that you get these right, look at my schematic for proper orientation

schematic thread

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a lot of sales hype but here is the info from their auction pages, personally I think it is asking a lot of someone who doesn't have any experience in this area

AQUA-SAFE EXCLUSIVE DESIGNED VARIABLE FLOW RESISTOR

For years we have been frustrated with the inability to regulate any change in the pressure within the RO system while 95% of the issues arise from PSI or a combo of PSI/TDS.

The world has changed. Water conservation is in and waste is out. Plus, water in some parts of North America is very expensive. A static flow resistor flow resistor does not allow you to fine tune the system to the water and condition in your home.

This type of resistor totally, ignores the TDS of the feedwater, the temperature (viscosity) of the feedwater, and the fact the resistance of the RO membrane changes as it wears out. The number one question I get is "do we have to waste this much water to make pure drinking water?"

The membrane makers would love to see us throw away 9 gallons for every 1 good gallon (sales hype LOL....Av). That way the membrane would last forever. The current generally accepted ratio is 3 or 4 to 1. Our new design can adjust the discharge for maximum water conservation and to deliver more pressure to the membrane if needed.

The variable is simple. Unscrew the stem to the max and the restrictor is wide open in the "flush" position. Then very slowly tighten it until you get a drip....then a tiny bit more and then you will have a small flow (this must be a typo, you would begin to slowly open the valve back up till a small flow is noticed.....Av) That probably is you point of maximum effectiveness in a low pressure situation. Time how long it takes to make a quart of good water. Then see how much waste water is generated. Play with it until the ratio is 3:1 and you are a "Green". There are 9 turns of the screw so 4 1/2 is a 50% restriction which is about what you want. (Chrono, from that last statement I think it is safe to assume that 4 1/2 turns would be a pretty good place to put it for the time being, from your previous comments I assume you are not allowing any waste water which will sooner or later damage the membrane)

As the years go by, the membrane will wear our and you will need to tighten it a bit more. When you get to 1 gallon of good to 2 gallons of bad, then it is time to throw the membrane out.

Under no circumstances totally shut of the flow of discharge water.

I bet in a year the adjustable flow restrictor will be history or be redesigned in such a way as to be "fool proof", limiting the total amount of restriction possible, JMHO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really wish I had known all this sooner... I don't recall reading all that in the instructions. Although they were confusing and we stopped using them altogether after a while. I knew next to nothing about RO when I got it. Also, it turns out the DI wasn't completely used up... only half. The current TDS reading is still between 40 and 50. It should be lower by now, right?

Edit: I switched the variable flow resistor back to the waste line and I put it about half way between opened and closed. I was going to go by the 9 turn thing but it depends on how much one turn is for each person.. I turn it from opened to close in 7-8 turns so I put it at about 3 1/2 turns. Now it is sending out short bursts of water every second. I'm assuming that's how it's supposed to be? It's kind of annoying because it's audible.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast