User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 17 to 24 of 34

Thread: zeitgeist the movie

  1. #17
    Outsiders71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jiana54 View Post
    the movie might offend a few people especially since the beginning of it discusses religion.
    i dont want to offend anyone. so please, don't watch this movie if you have a stronger faith in God. also, if you guys don't want to see clips from the 911 attack, dont watch this movie.

    the first part of the movie shows how christianity was plagiarized from egyptian mythology and a lot of other god/savior myths. it explains why 12-25 was jesus' birthday or why easter is the day jesus rose from the dead. then, it talks about the growth of christianity throughout the world. "religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery."
    Too bad seeking the truth wasn't as simple as popping in a DVD. I've read and heard all the craziest reasons why people should dismiss that there is a God. Anything from it's slavery, to it's a drug to control society, to taking verses out of the Bible out of context, to Biology and evolution (which can't prove or disprove the supernatural but can only conclude through observation and repeated experimentation) and to simple blanket comments that have no support.

    The point I'm trying to make is this: There are people who don't want you to believe there's a God. They internalize inside themselves some kind of fact or facts that they believe is some-what true that supports their claim that God is bogus. I'll leave it to you to figure out why. Christian's understand this as a "spiritual war" but many non-believers don't recognize this and instead try to convince you that you are being "freed" when you deny the existence of God.

    Whether or not we agree or disagree I hope that everyone here doesn't rely on any form of media to answer such enormous questions about life.
    James 1:17

    "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

  2. #18
    Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Posts
    9,681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow guys, is this movie REALLY that good? I've been hearing a lot about it lately. If it's mainly about God or some New World Order conspiracy theory then I'm not gonna watch it because that sounds like a real snoozefest, no matter which side of the argument it's on.

    BUT, you know me. I'm not afraid to try anything once... or ten times. I'll give it a shot tomorrow when I have time. Gregg Araki's Nowhere is coming on the IFC channel and I can't miss that! One of my favorite indies of all time!

    I can't resist the temptation. It's looming in my browser! As I watch... I see explosions and melodramatic music. Will it shake my belief in today's capitalistic society? Will I renounce God in favor of worshiping an Owl at Bohemian Grove? Will I rise against the oppressive American banking system? Or will I fall asleep in my chair and choke on my own (or someone else's?) tongue?? Only time will tell, my esteemed peers. Only time will tell, and that's all any of us have. Time. So far I found the beginning part about God pretty humorous. I used to think the same way but I no longer do (not that I care what anyone else wants to do. Even if they worship owls, bears, elephants, or even barn owls!) The money part is just hilarious and totally true!

    I'd like very much to hear a religious person comment on the astronomy stuff. It's pretty weird. I'd REALLY like to hear someone comment on it (please comment on it....) It's pretty spooky and I dunno what to think. Some of the stuff like the fish symbolism and the age of Taurus/Pisces seems like there over analyzing. And I don't think anyone questions the fact that modern day Christianity of full of pagan symbols (xmas, easter come to mind). The stuff about Noah and Moses seems like it can co-exist with the notion of Jesus. I don't give much thought to the OT. Bunch of old fairy tales if you ask me.

  3. #19
    Whats it to ya? Finch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    3,472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because barn owls are 100% better than regular owls. Its one of those facts.


    The truth is, my amigos, that you cant count on facts to sway other people’s opinions. Facts are subjective. Me, I love facts. Cant get enough of em. But what is absolute proof to you or me may be no proof at all to someone else. Sometimes all the facts in the world will never convince somebody. Or sometimes almost no facts at all will sway people. You know people like that, but you… us… don’t know who you are. People who do or don’t realize TEH FACTS are not any more dumber or smarter depending on what fact they absorb as correct… and wat r teh facts? Gobalwarming god evolution goverment cancer war... everyone picks their facts. If you say no... no i dont then your one of those people too! No one is immune


    wat r teh facts?

    You tell us
    that makes no logic

  4. #20
    Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Posts
    9,681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to realize teh facts since all of this happened thousands of years ago and was undoubtedly (by me atleast) hybridized over and over with the customs of other religions and cultures. Some of it probably never happened (garden of Eden? Pah-leeze) but nothing can be proven. It's just one of those things you've got to have faith in if you want to believe it, or not worry about it at all if you don't. This "documentary" does seem very (well, let's be honest, it is very) one sided and doesn't present the opposite point of view. As much as I dislike fundamentalism, it's not fair if they can't speak. People take the Bible far too literally. I take like, to be honest only the parts about Jesus literally. The rest is just stories teaching morals to me.

    Sounds like Stargate SG1 to me! Part II is starting now and I have a sinking feeling I'm going to think it's all BS. Why do they feel the need to flash these horrible images IN YOUR FACE! It's like propaganda.

  5. #21
    Whats it to ya? Finch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    3,472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was talking in general and not about religion in particular. Or really talking about the movie. Just observations in general... but i completely agree with what you have said about the bible stories and such. To me those facts seem sound... but to some others it wouldnt mean anything. And thats OK too. thats what i was talking about.
    that makes no logic

  6. #22
    Nepenthes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA USA
    Posts
    642
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to be very weary of views contrary to my own. I had this notion that I knew everything I needed in order to make an informed decision (about religion and society in general). The truth is, is that none of us know everything we need to know. We can, and should, always look to alternative views and assess their validity critically. Of course, that means we must actually listen to these alternative views.

    I take it you didn't even watch the video Outsiders71. That would be fine, except that you presume to know the content of the video based on a brief synopsis and your previous experience. The truth is, the video doesn't deny a God. The video simply shows the correlations between Astronomy, past religions (predating Christianity), and Jesus. While Jesus is viewed as some as the same as God (the holy trinity), the video does not bash, or belittle evidence of a God. It is interesting to note the amazing amount of correlations between past deities, and Jesus.

    I myself used to be highly religious (christian) and touted the teachings of the bible as indisputable. Then I saw all the wrong that is done in the name of religion (more people have been killed in the name of religion than any other reason). I saw how some of the most religious people are the most abused, exploited, and manipulated people. They are also some of the poorest people (majority believers), content in their sanctuary of religion.

    I still do believe in God... the difference is, is that I do not ascribe myself to any particular religion. I believe that all matter in life, indeed existence, was put here by something, someone. While it has been proven however, that electrons randomly appear in a vacuum for a fraction of a second, and so matter may have evolved likewise... something created the rules of our world, and those very electrons.

    As for the rest of the video, much of it is documented... that's what I don't understand about all the so called "controversy". I don't think anyone should take one source as all inclusive. Rather, use these sources as just that... sources. An author doesn't write a book by using just one source, they use many. Use this merely as just one source. Seek out alternative views, and alternative sources, but don't discredit one before even hearing it.

    EDIT: BTW JLAP, whether or not you believe in part 1, or even part 2 for that matter... pay close attention to part 3... That part has been extensively well documented, and it can and has been proven. It is a scary truth, and only adds credence to the rest of the video.
    - Daniel

  7. #23
    Nepenthes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA USA
    Posts
    642
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my main issues with the Bible, and this eludes too many people, is that it was written by MAN (multiple). This gives it no more credibility than anything else written by men, or this video for that matter. Also it was written over a period of over 1000 years, and some of it, many decades after the passing of christ. If someone today wrote of the teachings of God (that they personally experienced), or his "son", we might call them crazy. But because it comes from a time which we have no other record of, we validate it?
    - Daniel

  8. #24
    Outsiders71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepenthes View Post
    I take it you didn't even watch the video Outsiders71. That would be fine, except that you presume to know the content of the video based on a brief synopsis and your previous experience.
    Honestly I didn't watch the video but that is mostly because it's 2 hours long . I was responding to Jiana's post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nepenthes View Post
    The video simply shows the correlations between Astronomy, past religions (predating Christianity), and Jesus. While Jesus is viewed as some as the same as God (the holy trinity), the video does not bash, or belittle evidence of a God. It is interesting to note the amazing amount of correlations between past deities, and Jesus.
    Why is it surprising that people from the past could come to the conclusion that there is some kind of supreme being (God)? Which one of those past deities lived a life devoid of sin and willingly took the wrath of God for all sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nepenthes View Post
    I myself used to be highly religious (christian) and touted the teachings of the bible as indisputable. Then I saw all the wrong that is done in the name of religion (more people have been killed in the name of religion than any other reason). I saw how some of the most religious people are the most abused, exploited, and manipulated people. They are also some of the poorest people (majority believers), content in their sanctuary of religion.
    Maybe the problem is you developed a relationship with the religion and knowledge instead of with Jesus? Kind of like how the Pharisees lost sight of God but were highly religious. When God in human flesh (Jesus) stood in front of them they didn't even know who it was, but they knew all the laws and all of the Torah.

    Your right that the Bible and organized religion has been abused in the past and today but what does that have to do with your relationship with God? God didn't do those things, it was man. Seriously take a look around this world, it's fallen and without Jesus there is no hope. Look what happened after Katrina. Stores were robbed, people were mugged, and evacuees in the New Orleans football dome (sorry the name escapes me) were raped! You would think in a time as chaotic as that, that people would come together and help each other out. You know what happened? The true nature of people showed, instead of helping out they abused the situation for their gain. People drove down to New Orleans and pretended to be victims of Katrina to get those $5,000 relief credit cards! Same thing is going on in Southern California. You have people purposely setting fires, destroying homes and looting houses and other scams. A year ago in my area we had a bad, bad rain and everywhere was flooded. Main roads had to be closed. Basements were heavily flooded and big appliances were put outside to prevent damage. Guess what people did over here? They stole the appliances from the people's yards! I can go on and on about how wicked people really are. It should be no surprise that institutions that are supposed to be for God can be abused. That doesn't mean you have to go along with it, if you see the abuse do something about it! Expose it! Jesus warned us that things like this would happen and that there will be a price to pay for those people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nepenthes View Post
    I still do believe in God... the difference is, is that I do not ascribe myself to any particular religion. I believe that all matter in life, indeed existence, was put here by something, someone. While it has been proven however, that electrons randomly appear in a vacuum for a fraction of a second, and so matter may have evolved likewise... something created the rules of our world, and those very electrons.
    Forget religion. Find a church that is passionate for Jesus and uses the Bible. Then work on your relationship with Jesus.
    James 1:17

    "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •