What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is really sad.

• Thread starter seedjar
  • Start date

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
This is one of the most awful things I've read about in a while. A guy died in the hospital on Friday after being tasered and then shot in front of his family for not turning over his computer to cops in a search. He worked with a group that subtitles Japanese cartoons; it sounds like the search was over copyright infringement. Normally, DB likes to goof around a little with their press releases, but I'm fairly sure this is for real.
http://www.dattebayo.com/pr/40
~Joe

Holy crap. Yeah, the type of person that goes to Otakon is really dangerous. If the place reporting this is making it up, then it's pretty messed up. When the Guardian makes something up, at least it's easy to tell. Maybe this warrants some more looking in to; it sounds VERY strange.

Man, and to think, this is probably all about a company trying to push these guys around in a legal gray area...

Edit: Yup, I can say with confidence that it's a fake. Scroll down to the bottom and highly the area below the text to reveal a "YHBT" -> You Have Been Trolled. No reason to have this in white text, hidden, if this wasn't a joke.

Hmm, I hope you're right. This one seems a lot more elaborate than the ones they usually do though. The beginning seemed a lot like a troll, but I didn't think they'd take it this far.
~Joe

Cops sometimes do make mistakes like that, one guy got tazered so much (I think he stole a car or something) that he did just this and they kept tazering him until he died.

Hmm, it'd be more believable if they'd use the right words.

"<~interactii> MY "butt" is kinda soar"

It's "sore" you morons. "Soar" is in the sense of flying.

I knew a guy that was tazed about a year ago, then he was dead within a few mins.

Hmm, it'd be more believable if they'd use the right words.

It's "sore" you morons. "Soar" is in the sense of flying.

It's a quote from a chat... So that's how the guy spelled it and that's how they kept it. That doesn't necessarily reflect on the piece, though they could have added a [sic] to disambiguate where the spelling error came up. I'd imagine that a man in prison (even an imaginary one) has bigger things on his mind than spelling. Such as WHY he's sore, rather than how to spell it correctly.

Hmm, I hope you're right. This one seems a lot more elaborate than the ones they usually do though. The beginning seemed a lot like a troll, but I didn't think they'd take it this far.

Well, are there any other alternate sources of the story that don't cite this one?

I was at Otakon and I don't remember hearing that happening.. though I didn't go to their panel.. I don't think it'd be the best idea to go there and announce how they fansub and junk since it's technically illegal.. though I don't see why. The episodes that they fansub and distribute (for free) aren't even available in the US.

Edit: Yup, I can say with confidence that it's a fake. Scroll down to the bottom and highly the area below the text to reveal a "YHBT" -> You Have Been Trolled. No reason to have this in white text, hidden, if this wasn't a joke.
How'd you catch that Est? I missed it until you mentioned it. If this is their idea of a joke then they need more more work to do. Maybe they could find a way to do xxxHolic :-))

Woah! Good eye!

xvart.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure how I spotted it. It's probably because when I read things I tend to highlight them as I go (especially when it's a longer paragraph.) I probably ended up dragging too far and saw it. lol

since it's technically illegal

I believe that it technically falls in to a gray-area. Many fansubbed shows are produced in counties that have different or nonexistent copyright laws. It generally goes that as long as the show isn't licensed in the US, it's de facto kosher. IF this article would have been true, then it would have only been due to a company using the police to bully and scare the community because they can't really press charges.

This is my understanding of it at least. Even if it's not the case, morally I don't have a problem with it. It's accessible elsewhere only due to geographical restrictions which no longer really NEED to be restrictive. The creators of the show lose nothing; in fact they gain. If I find a show I want to watch that hasn't been here released/licensed here in the US, I suddenly have a prerogative to see it proliferate in to my markets of access.

....The creators of the show lose nothing; in fact they gain. If I find a show I want to watch that hasn't been here released/licensed here in the US, I suddenly have a prerogative to see it proliferate in to my markets of access.
I agree with you on that. I started getting the manga for the anime that I liked, At least if it was available in the US in English. Japanese is still Greek to me for the most part. 'Cept for a couple words like "baka" (sp).

'Cept for a couple words like "baka" (sp).

ROFL, one of the few words I consistently remember, too. That either says something about us, or what we're watching. lol

Back