Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: God's word

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the funny thing about this joke is how these versus are taken and construed to suit the person's motives. I understand it's a joke but I don't find it personally funny. I find it sad.

But, in my opinion, someone who doesn't accept each and every line loses any right to tell someone that the bible requires people do a particular thing or prohibits any other thing.
    Romans 3:19-20:

Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.

Romans 3:21-24:

But now a righteousness from God, apart form law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Romans 6:1-4:

What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised form the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

To summarize:

No one is sinless and no one can live up to the law. The law is useful as a moral code and to exposes our sin. Is it following this code that brings us righteousness? No. It is through faith in Jesus that makes us righteous. Nothing else. Does this mean that we should just sin sin sin and just keep asking for more and more forgiveness? Paul makes it plainly clear...BY NO MEANS. God calls us to a new abundant life through Christ, not the old life lead by our sinful flesh.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Wow, guys it's just a joke.
    - NeciFiX

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71 View Post
    To me the funny thing about this joke is how these versus are taken and construed to suit the person's motives. I understand it's a joke but I don't find it personally funny. I find it sad.

Whoo! I guess you and me both know what that's like, then!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    Except that I believe those versus to be truths from God, while you believe they are punch lines for jokes that are really funny (and totally true!).
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To me the funny thing about this joke is how these versus are taken and construed to suit the person's motives.
    Well, I suppose that it's half of the source of the sattire; more than once have I had a conversation where someone pulls a bit out of the bible to suit their needs and it's supposed to be the end-all be-all. Really it seems to show that it can be manipulated to either end.

...Wow, guys it's just a joke.
    "Just a joke" is an oxymoron.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    Even though you gave warning, you had to know such responses were coming.
    I like plants.

NICK,NICK,NICK!!!!! Indians....... likeAstone76's Avatar
    Kansas, on the plains with the tumbling tumble weeds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since this is "just a joke", and it shouldn't be "taken seriously", can "jokes" about one's ethnic background, sexuall orientation, or favorite bubble gum flavor be expected to be taken the same way?

It's a joke designed to attack someone's personal beliefs. How can you post something like that and not expect someone to take offense?

Personally I don't take offense to things like this, and I don't make it a habbit to attack or joke about those who happen to believe something different than me.

Everyone's all for tolerance and acceptance in todays world, unless you mention God or Jesus.

God's word is eternal and unchanging. But that doesn't mean MAN'S word is. Do you know how many times the "bible" has been translated, re-translated, coppied, pasturized, etc. ? That's putting faith in man not to make one mistake, typo, or throwing in something extra for political reasons. Now that's a leap of faith.
    Here's to the first of the of the day fellas!! To old, D.H. Lawrence!!!!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But that doesn't mean MAN'S word is. Do you know how many times the "bible" has been translated, re-translated, coppied, pasturized, etc. ?
    Exxxxxxxxxactly.

JLAP's "joke" wasn't meant to be a "haha" joke as much as it is an illustration to show how some people cherry-pick certain "moral laws" out of the bible to "prove" a point, while ignoring other "moral laws" most consider unreasonable or not applicable in our modern society (such as killing someone who works on Sunday).

Fact is The Bible IS "man's" word...several men as a matter fact, written a couple of thousand years ago and, as stated, rewritten and retranslated over the years. (And without any woman's voice I might add.) In my opinion, selecting very specific scriptures out of context to support discrimination/hate of anybody (gays, women, other races) is just plain wrong.

You do not have to read/believe the Bible to live a "moral life." For myself, "moral" means knowing the difference between right and wrong and living by that as best I can. We should be caring and respectful of one another, be helpful to one another...we shouldn't take what's not ours, especially a life. Its pretty basic and I don't need to pull selected scriptures out of a 2,000 year old book to know what actions are right and wrong in today's society. Whether we like it or not, man's behavior and the legal laws we live by are always changing and always will be. Society and its legal AND moral laws might be very different another 1,000 years from now. (If human beings and the planet is still around).
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast