Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: God's word

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck even human rights are always changing. I'm predicting the Bill of Rights to get cut down to the first 5 or so amendments and all the others to have an amendment nullifying the first!

As for the "joke" that was taken too seriously. Yes, it was funny, but it's a joke you have to tell to the right people. There's always someone that's going to take offense when the Bible is misconstrued to make a joke. I don't take offense 'cause there is a place in the Bible (I gotta find it) that says -I'm paraphrasing- God is creating a new covenant for those who put their faith in Jesus Christ in which the old covenant will be made new. Essentially He is saying that the old law will no longer be necessary. We do it all the time and I don't see why God can't do it Himself. In fact, He makes it easier on us! LOL Ain't that a nice thought.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that favorite bubble gum is safe teasing territory Religion isn't on the same level as sexual orientation or ethnicity (in my personal opinion, because in my opinion you can choose your religion). I'm very glad to hear you say that it's been manipulated so much, because I believe the same thing. You have to remember that man had hate and politics and discrimination, and the easiest thing in the world for someone to do was to say "Well GOD said it was supposed to be this way" and so it was written in there. Look at preachers today, some say God thinks one thing and some say he thinks something totally different, and at one time some preachers said that it was OK to have slaves and separate water fountains. Even in the Bible it says slavery is OK. I don't think that God says it's OK, do you? If you believe the Bible is the literal word of God, then you must think slavery and murder is OK. One of the BIGGEST obstacles of changing my faith I had to overcome is to realize that God didn't write the bible, man did, and man was just as screwed up, sexist, and homophobic back then as they are now. I had to realize that I didn't have to be a Bible-thumping religious zealot to believe in God. People can go around murdering, and be convinced that God inspired them to do it, but that really doesn't mean anything.

So really, if these were taken out of context, I'd very much like to see you put them IN context and tell me how they don't tell you to murder for silly things. The bottom line is that people, especially corrupt priests thousands of years ago, can say whatever they wan't and people will always blindly follow. I honestly don't think God cares if you touch a woman on her period, or plant multiple crops or wear polyblends (I don't think God is Carson Kressley ) or eat lobster, or fall in love with someone of the same sex. I think God is totally for love in any form, and maybe I sounds like a hippie (I'd be damn proud if I did!) but that's just me. I think God is above the pettiness of man, I really do. I can't believe I'm saying any of this, actually, considering how much of an athiest I used to be. Totally surreal.

PS: Learn to poke fun at yourselves guys! Life is NO fun at all if you can't laugh at yourself! This was not an attack, it was meant to make you laugh and think.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, it doesn't matter if we think it's funny or not.

God's gonna get the last laugh anyhow.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    I think that favorite bubble gum is safe teasing territory Religion isn't on the same level as sexual orientation or ethnicity (in my personal opinion, because in my opinion you can choose your religion). I'm very glad to hear you say that it's been manipulated so much, because I believe the same thing. You have to remember that man had hate and politics and discrimination, and the easiest thing in the world for someone to do was to say "Well GOD said it was supposed to be this way" and so it was written in there. Look at preachers today, some say God thinks one thing and some say he thinks something totally different, and at one time some preachers said that it was OK to have slaves and separate water fountains. Even in the Bible it says slavery is OK. I don't think that God says it's OK, do you? If you believe the Bible is the literal word of God, then you must think slavery and murder is OK. One of the BIGGEST obstacles of changing my faith I had to overcome is to realize that God didn't write the bible, man did, and man was just as screwed up, sexist, and homophobic back then as they are now. I had to realize that I didn't have to be a Bible-thumping religious zealot to believe in God. People can go around murdering, and be convinced that God inspired them to do it, but that really doesn't mean anything.

So really, if these were taken out of context, I'd very much like to see you put them IN context and tell me how they don't tell you to murder for silly things. The bottom line is that people, especially corrupt priests thousands of years ago, can say whatever they wan't and people will always blindly follow. I honestly don't think God cares if you touch a woman on her period, or plant multiple crops or wear polyblends (I don't think God is Carson Kressley ) or eat lobster, or fall in love with someone of the same sex. I think God is totally for love in any form, and maybe I sounds like a hippie (I'd be damn proud if I did!) but that's just me. I think God is above the pettiness of man, I really do. I can't believe I'm saying any of this, actually, considering how much of an athiest I used to be. Totally surreal.

PS: Learn to poke fun at yourselves guys! Life is NO fun at all if you can't laugh at yourself! This was not an attack, it was meant to make you laugh and think.
    It's just a joke and I've already clarified I understood that. However the additional comments especially in your last reply makes it more than a joke that needs answered too.

JLAP: while man was the vessel, God was the inspirer. That's something that isn't hard to grasp and that still God does today. Here's some quick links on its integrity:

http://www.christianworldviewnetwork.../Gregory_Koukl
    http://www.irr.org/Bible-Reliable.html
    http://www.leaderu.com/isr/articles_...lechanged.html
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007..._557_19_07.txt

There's many out there. The biggest "translation" problem of the Bible is that some words that were originally Hebrew/Greek have a bigger meaning than our English word. Like for instance the word shalom. It is translated over as peace in English but means much more than that. The internet is a great tool and offers many sites that have the original Hebrew/Greek with greater depth. Sometimes when verses or context do not make sense, looking up the Hebrew/Greek can help clarify.

PAK: Your right that women didn't physically help write the Bible but I don't think that was done out of discrimination. Most women back then probably didn't know how to write due to being too busy trying to raise a family. However it was a woman that God instilled beauty, and it was a woman who carried and raised the Son of God. It was also women who were the first to find that Jesus has risen.

You are correct that morality can be grasped without the law.

Romans 2:14-15:
    14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, 15 since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.)

However how can morality change? I think you are right in predicting that less and less respect for morality will happen (AKA the Anything Goes movement).
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it started as "Just a joke" but then in got deeper than that so that's why I made my last post.

Well, that's just it. What is immoral to you, may or may not be to me, and visa versa. Neither of our views of morality are wrong, and neither are right.... for each other. But for me, my set of morals is perfect and yours is perfect for you, I believe. When either of us tries to change the other's morals, or one has the opinion that it's OK to limit the actions of the other and inhibit them from, for example, marrying the person they love or smoking whatever they want, then there is a conflict. To me, immorality is murder, sexual predation (pedophilia, rape, etc.), stealing, lying, cheating, non-self defense violence, etc. While swinging, practicing Wicca or any other religion, promiscuity, drugs, skimpy clothes, eating shellfish, not going to church, etc. are perfectly fine with me, because it's up to everyone to choose what we like, and what they do doesn't affect me, and what I do doesn't affect them (or you). One thing I'm against is polygamy, but only for the sole purpose that only men can have multiple wives, yet women can't have multiple husbands.

For example, what's moral and what's not today (even by conservative standards) is pretty different from 3 thousand years ago. To them, common place things today, like a woman being "head" of a family (hell, or VOTING or speaking their mind) or bikini's would be HORRENDOUS, but that does NOT mean that over time there has been a loss of respect for morals, it means that the morals have changed, and change is an important part of evolution.

Look at where we'd be if we all thought the same way they did 3 thousand years ago. I wonder how advanced as a society we'd be without change?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morality cannot be decided on an individual basis. Why...? Because then people could say: Murder is moral, rape is moral, beating women is moral, stealing is moral, pedophilia is moral, incest is moral...etc. So what if you think these things are immoral, if we're going to allow morality to be defined by individuals than anything goes...

That's exactly why God gave us the old law, to define morality.

Morality has nothing to do with women's rights and if you ask me the feminist movement hurt women more than helped women. Now everyone wants to be a Lindsay Lohan/Paris Hilton/Brittany Spears, dress in skimpy clothes and attract inappropriate attention (but are clueless when strangers make comments to them...). Women are being minipulated and reduced to sexual objects and the saddest thing is they are doing it to themselves! I'm not saying that they should be covered from head to toe in clothing but gosh there is a thing called modesty and most women my age don't know what that is!

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how advanced as a society we'd be without change?
    No offense to anyone but look at the Middle East. Throwback to the 1400s. I can't think of a single invention or discovery that has come out of there in the past 500 years at least, and I'm trying really hard.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    No offense to anyone but look at the Middle East. Throwback to the 1400s. I can't think of a single invention or discovery that has come out of there in the past 500 years at least, and I'm trying really hard.
    How could something good come out of the Middle East when then are ruled by ruthless dictators who control almost all the wealth? Survival is more important.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast