Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: God's word

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not talking about saying murder and rape is OK, I'm on a completely different level within the bounds of normal human behavior. In fact, it could be argued that anyone who says that murder and rape etc. is moral, is in fact mentally ill.

If women want to be like Lindsay Lohan/Paris Hilton/Brittany Spears, dress in skimpy clothes and attract inappropriate attention (which again is debatable on what you want to call "inappropriate" I mean Christ, they aren't nuns), then I completely support them! If dressing sexy makes you feel good, go for it! I fail to see how what they wear is relevant at all. At the same time, they also have to accept responsibility for their actions (getting busted with coke, DUI's.) Manipulated and reduced to sexual objects? No one makes them wear any of that stuff; they choose to. If I go out in a hot outfit, I'm most certainly not being reduced to a sexual object, I'm doing what I want and feeling good doing it. As far as modesty goes.... so what? Why should they listen to you? How is your opinion better than theirs (which would be, wearing "skimpy" clothes is fine)? What makes you right, without Quoting some Bible passage?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71 View Post
    How could something good come out of the Middle East when then are ruled by ruthless dictators who control almost all the wealth? Survival is more important.

You can't say that nothing good can come out of the Middle East. We're ruled by ruthless dictators here as well. The only difference is that they follow a different god.
    Go White Sox!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -J Hendrix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since this has become more serious a topic let me ask this question. I understand that the old laws where discarded when the old covenant was made new by Jesus. Why is it though that only some laws appear to have been discarded such as shellfish and pork prohibitions while the one forbidding homosexuality has been retained (for men since it says a man should not lay with a man, Lesbians your still ok in gods eyes ). Is this not a case of men picking and choosing which laws they will follow? I want to see the part of the bible where Jesus said pick a few laws you dont like I will get rid of them for you but the one about the gays has to stay. This seems to me like man deciding what god wants. I believe that was the whole point to this "joke" that was submitted.

As for the Middle East, well unless you have been there I dont believe you have any right to say it is a throw back to the 1400's. If you have been there I would like to know what countries and when as I found the countries I have visted to be fairly modern though some of their social ideas like womens liberation could use some help, but they have bigger problems right now like the flood of Iraqi refugees, reforming their governments, economic reform (they all have high unemployment rates) etc.

As for feminism Outsider I believe you have a misconstrued vision of what feminism is.
    Feminism doesnt encourage women to be like Paris Hilton/Spears/Lohan but instead encourages women to use abilities other than their bodies to gain success in life. It also teaches them that they dont have to be subservant to men and that they are not baby factories as the traditions of Abraham teach. It encourages women to think of themselves as equals to men in most senses though acknowledges that there are differences and that the differneces have to be accepted and that they are good.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ktulu's first paragraph says everything that needs to be said about the joke. The best jokes make the people laugh while making the powerful uncomfortable.

As for the Middle East thing, the Arab world was the bridge between the classical Greek/Roman era and the Renaissance. Islamic culture descended into mindless orthodoxy then; Christianity is trying to do it now. So not only do we owe them our thanks for providing the seeds of the Renaissance, we have to acknowledge they're well ahead of us in our mad rush to ignorance.

Moving along to the third paragraph, the people most bothered by feminists, gays, foreigners, (insert group here) are often those least likely to actually know one. And, after insulting fundamentalists in the previous paragraph, I'll add here that the people I know who are most bothered by fundamentalist Christians don't know any either.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

The Obsessive Gardener pedersonplants's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to jump in here. The OLD TESTAMENT laws weren't necessarily abandoned. They were simply fulfilled when Christ died for our sins.

What I wonder about is why people can make fun of Christianity (as in the joke that started this whole discussion) but if the same people make fun of the Muslim religion, they would be jumped on and told they were discriminating, etc.

I am a Christian who believes the Bible is the word of God. Both the Old Testament and New Testament are applicable to us today. Make fun of me all you want. The older I get the MORE I believe the BIble. The more educated I have become, the more I believe the Bible. THe older I get, the more conservative my viewpoints have gotten.

If I were threatened by this discussion, I'd put in a complaint. But God chose to give people free will. You can choose HIS WAY or any other way. The choice is yours and the decision about where you spend eternity is in your hands too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The majority is always fair game for a joke. Especially when they develop a reputation for telling everyone else how to live. At that point, making fun of them is the least we should do.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer that, you'd have to ask whether a joke about Islam would be taken as offensive on a forum hosted and frequented by those in a Muslim-majority country.

If the answer to that is yes it would, then there are two very different approaches to humour over religion. You could then debate whether that was right or wrong.

My own personal opinion to that would be one of criticism as it is my personal belief that humour is nothing to feel guilty about and I believe God likes people to have a good laugh. There's certainly an evolutionary advantage - it boosts your immune system for a start.

Unless someone has a joke about the Koran? Seriously, go ahead...

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A complaint? We get topics like this all the time. Wait until the elections.

Actually I was thinking about that very thing today. I was thinking how it's OK to say "Gay pride! Black power!" but offensive to say "Straight pride! White power!" and it's because when a persecuted minority says it, it's viewed as a good thing, to be proud and stand up for yourself, but when the majority says it it's seen as oppressive and hateful, weather it's intentions were benign or not.

It's interesting how you mention you can choose where you spend eternity, in this context. Look at me, I love God, I've accepted Jesus as my personal savior, and I can remain secular. Last time I checked, it's about faith in Christ and not about works or liberal or conservative ideologies. You can believe in God and not be religious, and it took me a while to understand that.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast