Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: God's word

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The intent and subject of a "joke" make a huge differnce. The "joke" presented here points out the idiosyncrasies of the bible. If you "joke" points out controdictions in the Qu'ran then I see know reason why it would be found any more objectionable than the one that started this topic. Now if your "joke" ends with an explosion or something that is a stereotype then I would say it is objectionable compared to the previous "joke". Also you have to consider if the joke increases the false precetions that help to promote an unfounded fear of those who are differnt regaurdless of who the joke is aimed at.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone would have to be very courageous or very nuts to openly joke about Islam in an Muslim society. That's why so many of us are so frightened about Christian fundamentalists taking control here.

When you look in the eyes of a fundamentalist, you see the back of his/her head. Whether it's a fundamentalist Christian, Muslim, capitalist, communist, environmentalist, individualist or whatever. Life is complicated and we often have to make decisions based on incomplete information and guestimates of risks. Not based on blind adherence to some doctrine, whether it's a unique set of personal beliefs or is shared with millions of others. We just have to muddle through and hope we choose a path that cause the least pain.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you "joke" points out controdictions in the Qu'ran then I see know reason why it would be found any more objectionable than the one that started this topic
    Because it's a sin to speak out against Islam, and do you really think someone who beleives Muslims are supposed to rule the world, and wants to slowly saw your head off with a dull blade because you aren't Muslim would have a hearty chuckle and go on with their life after someone joked about the koran? I think not.

About the Middle East, no I've never been, and to be honest, any of those countreis are not in my top 150 places I'd like to go. Ideology there has not changed in 500 years. Its infected and destroyed people's minds so much that even women in America still wear the burka. Any woman would have to be mentally ill to want to continue to wear that in any free country. Now aside from the fact that they don't respect women, still hang persons for being gay, and think stoning is an acceptable punishment, they are more than willing to chop of your hands for stealing something. That sounds pretty Draconian to me, which validates the fact that the Middle East is a throwback to the dark ages. We're talking about people who don't believe in science (hey, the South used to be like that), and are ready to kill you in the blink of an eye.

Some of those people are still nomadic even...if thats not 1400s, I don't know what is.

I realize they were responsible for some very early inventions/breakthroughs prior to the 1500s, but for the past 500 years that region has been too busy killing each other and others "because Allah told them to". Like I said, no inventions or advancements in 500 years.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    Because it's a sin to speak out against Islam, and do you really think someone who beleives Muslims are supposed to rule the world, and wants to slowly saw your head off with a dull blade because you aren't Muslim would have a hearty chuckle and go on with their life after someone joked about the koran? I think not.

About the Middle East, no I've never been, and to be honest, any of those countreis are not in my top 150 places I'd like to go. Ideology there has not changed in 500 years. Its infected and destroyed people's minds so much that even women in America still wear the burka. Any woman would have to be mentally ill to want to continue to wear that in any free country. Now aside from the fact that they don't respect women, still hang persons for being gay, and think stoning is an acceptable punishment, they are more than willing to chop of your hands for stealing something. That sounds pretty Draconian to me, which validates the fact that the Middle East is a throwback to the dark ages. We're talking about people who don't believe in science (hey, the South used to be like that), and are ready to kill you in the blink of an eye.

Some of those people are still nomadic even...if thats not 1400s, I don't know what is.

I realize they were responsible for some very early inventions/breakthroughs prior to the 1500s, but for the past 500 years that region has been too busy killing each other and others "because Allah told them to". Like I said, no inventions or advancements in 500 years.

Wow, I truely pity you if this is what you believe. I am not going to say any more than you have no right or ability to tell me or anyone else how things are in the Middle East when you have never been there. I have never been to China hence the fact that I dont go around telling everyone the way things are in China and what people believe there. I have been to the Middle East however and can say that much of what you say is false.

As for nomads yes there are still nomads in the middle east however in that enviroment you cant keep your animals in anyone place for very long or else you exhaust the food sources there. They do however use modern technology. Seriously whats so 1400's about being a nomad? Whats so great about sedintary totalitarian agriculture? (If you dont understand what Totalitarian Agricaulture is take jiana54's advice and read The Story of B)

Oh and for people not believing in science you forgot to include Kansas.

Also you are allowed to discuss and debate subjects in the Qu'ran as I had many discussion with Muslims while I was in the Jordan and the two people there were from differnet sects one Shi'a and one Sunni and they would disagree and yet it was acceptable for both to argue and discuss and neither one of them wished any harm to the other and no one ended up getting their head cut off with a dull blade as you seem to think happens.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This attitude is brought on by the media only showing the fanatics who are willing to kill and die, quite eagerly I might add. The news doesn't show Joe Schmoe ( I guess in this case it would be Mohammed Jassim Ali ), who's worried about staying alive in a war zone and protecting his family, because no one cares about the average Iraqi. What do you expect them to say? "This just in! Some dude in Iraq isn't doing anything particularly interesting at all! Stay tuned for the developing story!" No, they only show "Crazy Muslims want to kill you and your childen! " and "POSSIBLE TERROR PLOT! SUSPICIOUS WHITE POWDER FOUND IN NOSE OF CONGRESSMAN!"

Places like Jordan and Dubai are pretty secular, considering the culture and where they are at. I'd very much like to visit them one day. I hear the shopping is on par with Vegas. I'm totally jealous of that new aquarium Dubai is planning! People seem to forget about places like these, and only remember images on TV of religious nuts in a desert wasteland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Money trumps ideology. That explains not only Dubai, but also Atlanta too. And Manhattan, Hollywood, Dallas . . .
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This attitude is brought on by the media only showing the fanatics who are willing to kill and die, quite eagerly I might add. The news doesn't show Joe Schmoe ( I guess in this case it would be Mohammed Jassim Ali ), who's worried about staying alive in a war zone and protecting his family, because no one cares about the average Iraqi
    Hearing this over and over again makes me sick. The difference between "normal" Muslims and the "extremists" are that the extremists are plotting to kill people. The "average Muslim" is almost as guilty for not stopping the "extremists". I'm tired of hearing that "Islam is a religion of peace", which is obviously the opposite of the truth. Look what goes on in Indonesia. Muslims need to step back and really evaulate their religion. If anyone should be eradicating the "extremists" its the "normal" Muslims. The "extremists" is why the whole of Islam looks like bloodthirsty people with no respect for life.

And as far as I'm concerned, I have every right to talk about the Middle East. Just because I haven't been there doesn't mean those things don't happen. I wasn't in Germany during the 30s/40s...does that mean I can't talk about that, and the Holocaust didn't happen? Funny that some Muslims actually believe that it didn't, too...
    Then again, I'm sure no one was after you because you're a practicing Muslim. If I, a white athiest went there, well we know what would happen...
    Why would anyone want to visit a place that stomps out individuality anyway? Thats why there have been no advances there. While it may be all fun and games for you, rational persons would never want to live in a place where they not only can't be themselves, but are even killed for it. You can't even see boobs over there. Any religion that doesn't condone boobs isn't a good one in my book.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That might explain why you're an atheist.
    Bruce in CT

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast