Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: God's word

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White Americans massacred Native Americans but I dont hear you crying we should hate all white Americans. Americans currently fund the ethnic cleansing going on in Palestine but Im sure thats ok with you because the muslims are the ones suffering. WHat about the Israeli massacre of Lebanese in 1996? Guess who gave Israel the weapons to do such a massacre.

Serbian Christians massacred Bosian Muslims so we have to hate all christians now too as they are animals.

Communists in Russia and China did horrible things to all non-atheists so we now must hate all atheists and consider them animals too.

Timothy McVeigh was a Humanist and look what he did, well have to hate all humanists now.

man you must be lonely if you hate everyone on this list. See what happens when you judge the majority based on a small minority of people you have false preceptions of what a group of people is about. You have to realize you dont hear about the 1.3 billion Muslims world wide who live their lives in peace because Mohammad plants wheat today just doesnt grab head lines like 4 KILLED IN SUICIDE BOMBING!!

As for the ones you list individually, Muslims in souther Thialand are having a spertists movement which is where their violence stems from. Afghanistan I wonder who messed that country up caused problems that lead to such violence. Pakistan is where all the people we kicked out of Afghanistan went. I will admit im not that familar with the situation in Somalia. And Iraq all I have to say is how many attacks like that happened before March 20, 2003? I think we all know whos fault the violence in Iraq is.

Lastly all religions have been construted in a way to be used in violent acts. You can find a single belief system that hasnt been used to justify violence even atheism has been used to justify violence against others. Its an unfortunate part of the human condition that we are violent. Those who were violent survived to reproduce more and therefore we have a greater instance of violence in this world.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tinyjeans View Post
    Okay, Okay. So, a Priest and a Rabbi are riding in a plane . . .
    the agnostic considers if the plane truely exhists.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting bit of philosophy, this religion thing.

In my view, religion (ALL religion) is bad. Not because they are evil or wrong in and of themselves, but because of the nature of man. Huh? What the heck is Schloaty talking about?

Consider this - what is it to beleive? To beleive something is to structure your life around the notion that it's true - it governs your behaviour.

I beleive that, for example, when I get home my wife will be waiting for me with my daughters. This beleif makes me feel happy and secure. Now what I beleived something differently, like she's at home with the mailman? I think I would feel, and most likely act, differently. I would do so with NO PROOF. That's the crux of it. No proof.

There is no proof of God, and God (or Gods). Period. And, by the way, the onus is on the beleiver to proove it, not the skeptic, the same way a crytozoologist my proove that there is a bigfoot. It's a logical impossibility to dis-proove the existance of something.

So religious folks beleive in what ever they follow with no proof. They act as the beleive towards their fellow man with no proof.

AND, since most religous texts are (as is obvious from the very thread), subject to different interperetations by different people (all of whom BELEIVE in what they think it means), this makes religion downright dangerous. MOST of us beleive that the Bible, for example, preaches peace and love. HOWEVER, the Bible is dangerous because in CAN inspire aweful acts. Read: the inquisition. Very few people could be convinced do perpetrate the foul acts of that time (being burned alive was the least of your worries) without the (I must admit, rather elegant) verses of the Bible - mistconstrued by our current beleif structure, but that's the whole point. Just like toy guns that look like real guns. Are the dangerous? Well, not until some dumb kid points one at a cop - but they've been removed from toy store shelves because the CAN cause harm.

As for me, I think that God is a socially acceptable imaginary friend for Adults.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktulu View Post
    the agnostic considers if the plane truely exhists.
    The athiest chooses to ride trains.
    I like plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schloaty View Post

I think that God is a socially acceptable imaginary friend for Adults.

hmm...never thought of that before. i like it.
    Go White Sox!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -J Hendrix

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess because even though you can't prove it, believing in God does make me feel good and secure. I'm a happier person now because of it than I was when I was an atheist, because when I was an atheist I wasn't satisfied with just croaking and that's it, and I was worried that if there was a God, then there is a Hell and then I'd be screwed. Is it messed up to believe in a God out of fear of punishment? Yeah, maybe, but at the same time I'm not afraid anymore and I'm secure. To me, God isn't some A-hole on a thrown that tells me people to be good or else. Not at all. To be he's loving and understanding, not an authoritarian. I don't, at all, consider myself religious though. Them's fightin' werds! I don't even talk about it except on a conversation like this. I believe spirituality to be very personal, and those that wear it on their sleeve just piss me off.

I still prefer the company of Atheists to Christians. I guess I have an animosity to Christians based on the BAD examples I've seen and known. I'm trying to work on that and be nicer and not assume everyone is a conservative fanatic.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I do not subscribe to any religious affiliation is because I do not believe that establishments founded and maintained on tradition can survive in modern society. The world is constantly changing as is the world population. It is impossible to believe that the standards and traditions established thousands of years ago can possibly still be 100% relevant and applicable to modern humanity. Especially since there is a revolution going on and the populace is changing faster than ever before. It's just not possible to fairly and justly govern a body of people if the "rules" never change while the body of people never stops changing.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is funny, it sparked so many pages of debate! I liked the joke, it was not made to be taken seriously, then again, this is America and everyone can think/say whatever they want as long as it doesn't infringe on other people's rights. Go rights!
    I am going to visit the sarracenia in Oregon someday

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast