Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Texas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    That's flat.

I think it's great that you're going to TX. I spent ~10 years in the South, mostly in Mississippi, and I think everyone should have the experience of living in different parts of the country. It was grad school that led me this direction too, since the first assistantship offer came from Maine. Prior to that, I'd have said somebody would have to drag me, kicking and screaming, to live in CT. That opinion was based on the experience of spending my senior year of high school in a CT suburb, but spending more time here has helped me see the good to go along with the bad.
    I agree w/ Bruce. Use this opportunity to experience a different culture, different ecosystems & ....

Mike Howlett is just east of you & can probably start your Texas education. Lance Armstrong hails from that section of TX (I believe) so I suspect you'll find some hills someplace...

After graduating college (Penn State), I took off to work on offshore oil rigs in southern Louisiana. The culture shock was way more than I expected (in my 1st meeting w/ my base manager, he kicked me out of his office cursing because I couldn't understand anything he said - not kidding). Things improved from there and I spent 8 years in those swamps ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That area is sort of considered the hill country. I think it's just barely outside of it. There are lots of trails and everything else you could possibly want to do in Austin, but watch out for drivers there because they're absolutely horrible.

From San Marcos, Howlett is actually about 3ish hours from you.

People either absolutely love it or absolutely hate it, but that really depends on what part you're in. I live in the 2nd most conservative city in the nation...but Austin is (unfortunately) one of the most liberal. Either way Texas is still the greatest country on earth.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard Austin only seems liberal in comparison with its surroundings, but I'm curious - what's the city that's more conservative than Lubbock? I was going to guess Mecca and then realized you're limiting it to the US. It all depends on the definition of "conservative", of course, but Lubbock is certainly well known for a lack of separation between church & state. My best friend in junior high in MS was from there.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salt Lake City beats us.
    Austin is veryyyy liberal though. There are still hippies all over trying to sell you hemp items, everyone wants to have their little protests about everything, a lot of liberal bands that think their "good" music is going to change the world through its message, etc. I've run into people there that were so liberal they make John Kerry look like Sadam. Plus, the university is huge, and most college students are liberal as hell until they grow up and start having to pay taxes .

I'd say we're starting to move away from a church and state conglomerate...slowly. We still have more churches than you can shake a finger at (unfortunately), but things are very very slowly getting better as the people born in the 20s die off. The seniors are the reason we are still a dry county
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give texas a chance? I cant really respect it. I my professer knows a man who works with endangered species down there and landowners are so paranoid that he cant even survey many properties for a critically endangered tree that has a estimated 25 individuals left. Father is a anthropologist and he speaks frequently (he had to go there for a month to work 5 years ago) of the texan's feeling that their ownership of their land (and government paranoia) means that they often dont even report native American burial sites they come across so they dont have restrictions on their land. People's final resting places can mean nothing to some of them if it means getting the government involved. There are people like that everywhere, but not so bad elsewhere. That is not a culture that I feel I can really respect that does that so often.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Give texas a chance? I cant really respect it. I my professer knows a man who works with endangered species down there and landowners are so paranoid that he cant even survey many properties for a critically endangered tree that has a estimated 25 individuals left. Father is a anthropologist and he speaks frequently (he had to go there for a month to work 5 years ago) of the texan's feeling that their ownership of their land (and government paranoia) means that they often dont even report native American burial sites they come across so they dont have restrictions on their land. People's final resting places can mean nothing to some of them if it means getting the government involved. There are people like that everywhere, but not so bad elsewhere. That is not a culture that I feel I can really respect that does that so often.
    So your taking all your judgment from people who have just heard things? I dont think thats fair that you don't respect all of Texas just cause some people that did something wrong. You also said it was five years ago, so what makes you think things are still the same? I live here in Texas and have never heard of anything like that. I cant stand when people like you think you better than people from other places, and all this is based on something you heard from someone who heard it from someone. that would be like me saying most of the people in south Dakota are gay cause someone said theres a gay bar there.

Sorry for misspelling and grammar, Its a little to early in the morning for typing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live here in Texas and have never heard of anything like that
    Seconded. I've lived here 17 years on and off, and have never heard of such a thing.

Maybe he is just jealous that we are the state with the greatest number of insanely attractive women.
    (true story for anyone that doesn't know that )
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    Maybe he is just jealous that we are the state with the greatest number of insanely attractive women.
    (true story for anyone that doesn't know that )
    I second that! Ive never seen such an abundance of good looking woman!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast