What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving to Texas

• Thread starter ktulu
  • Start date
So I got into graduate school at Texas State University and I am going to move to Texas from here in Michigan in about 2 weeks. I will be living in San Marcos Texas (between Austin and San Antonio). I was wondering if anyone could tell me some plants that will do outside in hot fairly humid weather from what I can tell. Also if anyone is into moutain biking and from Texas it would be great if you could tell me where some public trails are at.

Back to packing.

Thanks,
Ktulu

Sarracenia, Dionaea, S. alata 'Texas form' will grow well in Texas lol haha. A lot of temperates basically... maybe some tropical Drosera.

Congrats on getting into grad school! What’s your area of study, if I may ask?
I wish you the best of luck! (Moving is tough. :))

OOOh, congrads. And goodluck.

I admit that i would never move to Texas unless they dragged me kicking and screaming...

Is that hill country? It's definitely too far east to be in TX's mountains. And I mean mountains from the perspective of someone in the East. Of course, with you being from MI, even middle TX might seem pretty mountainous. Either way, expect to find a lot fewer people interested in mountain biking and other human-powered outdoor activities than where you're from. Being at a university, however, I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding like-minded people.

Well I'm pretty new to the world of CPs, but I do know there is a place north of Houston that have CPs growing wild. Including temperate sundews, blaterworts, butterworts, and S. alta. I have never been but I'm hoping to go soon!

Hope this helps!

Thanks this gives me a good Idea of what will do well there. As for my area of study it is anthropology with an archaeology emphasis. I do not believe this would be considered hill country as it is flatter than where I am from in western Michigan. I think my single VFT should be happy there.

Finch, although I agree with you the only reason I am going to Texas is to put it plainly they accepted me and offered me the best deal.

That's flat.

I think it's great that you're going to TX. I spent ~10 years in the South, mostly in Mississippi, and I think everyone should have the experience of living in different parts of the country. It was grad school that led me this direction too, since the first assistantship offer came from Maine. Prior to that, I'd have said somebody would have to drag me, kicking and screaming, to live in CT. That opinion was based on the experience of spending my senior year of high school in a CT suburb, but spending more time here has helped me see the good to go along with the bad.

That's flat.

I think it's great that you're going to TX. I spent ~10 years in the South, mostly in Mississippi, and I think everyone should have the experience of living in different parts of the country. It was grad school that led me this direction too, since the first assistantship offer came from Maine. Prior to that, I'd have said somebody would have to drag me, kicking and screaming, to live in CT. That opinion was based on the experience of spending my senior year of high school in a CT suburb, but spending more time here has helped me see the good to go along with the bad.
I agree w/ Bruce. Use this opportunity to experience a different culture, different ecosystems & ....

Mike Howlett is just east of you & can probably start your Texas education. :beer: Lance Armstrong hails from that section of TX (I believe) so I suspect you'll find some hills someplace...

After graduating college (Penn State), I took off to work on offshore oil rigs in southern Louisiana. The culture shock was way more than I expected (in my 1st meeting w/ my base manager, he kicked me out of his office cursing because I couldn't understand anything he said - not kidding). Things improved from there and I spent 8 years in those swamps ...

That area is sort of considered the hill country. I think it's just barely outside of it. There are lots of trails and everything else you could possibly want to do in Austin, but watch out for drivers there because they're absolutely horrible.

From San Marcos, Howlett is actually about 3ish hours from you.

People either absolutely love it or absolutely hate it, but that really depends on what part you're in. I live in the 2nd most conservative city in the nation...but Austin is (unfortunately) one of the most liberal. Either way Texas is still the greatest country on earth.

I've heard Austin only seems liberal in comparison with its surroundings, but I'm curious - what's the city that's more conservative than Lubbock? I was going to guess Mecca and then realized you're limiting it to the US. It all depends on the definition of "conservative", of course, but Lubbock is certainly well known for a lack of separation between church & state. My best friend in junior high in MS was from there.

Salt Lake City beats us.
Austin is veryyyy liberal though. There are still hippies all over trying to sell you hemp items, everyone wants to have their little protests about everything, a lot of liberal bands that think their "good" music is going to change the world through its message, etc. I've run into people there that were so liberal they make John Kerry look like Sadam. Plus, the university is huge, and most college students are liberal as hell until they grow up and start having to pay taxes ;).

I'd say we're starting to move away from a church and state conglomerate...slowly. We still have more churches than you can shake a finger at (unfortunately), but things are very very slowly getting better as the people born in the 20s die off. The seniors are the reason we are still a dry county

Give texas a chance? I cant really respect it. I my professer knows a man who works with endangered species down there and landowners are so paranoid that he cant even survey many properties for a critically endangered tree that has a estimated 25 individuals left. Father is a anthropologist and he speaks frequently (he had to go there for a month to work 5 years ago) of the texan's feeling that their ownership of their land (and government paranoia) means that they often dont even report native American burial sites they come across so they dont have restrictions on their land. People's final resting places can mean nothing to some of them if it means getting the government involved. There are people like that everywhere, but not so bad elsewhere. That is not a culture that I feel I can really respect that does that so often.

Give texas a chance? I cant really respect it. I my professer knows a man who works with endangered species down there and landowners are so paranoid that he cant even survey many properties for a critically endangered tree that has a estimated 25 individuals left. Father is a anthropologist and he speaks frequently (he had to go there for a month to work 5 years ago) of the texan's feeling that their ownership of their land (and government paranoia) means that they often dont even report native American burial sites they come across so they dont have restrictions on their land. People's final resting places can mean nothing to some of them if it means getting the government involved. There are people like that everywhere, but not so bad elsewhere. That is not a culture that I feel I can really respect that does that so often.

So your taking all your judgment from people who have just heard things? I dont think thats fair that you don't respect all of Texas just cause some people that did something wrong. You also said it was five years ago, so what makes you think things are still the same? I live here in Texas and have never heard of anything like that. I cant stand when people like you think you better than people from other places, and all this is based on something you heard from someone who heard it from someone.:censor: that would be like me saying most of the people in south Dakota are gay cause someone said theres a gay bar there.

Sorry for misspelling and grammar, Its a little to early in the morning for typing.:-))

I live here in Texas and have never heard of anything like that
Seconded. I've lived here 17 years on and off, and have never heard of such a thing.

Maybe he is just jealous that we are the state with the greatest number of insanely attractive women. :boogie:
(true story for anyone that doesn't know that :D)

Maybe he is just jealous that we are the state with the greatest number of insanely attractive women. :boogie:
(true story for anyone that doesn't know that :D)

I second that! Ive never seen such an abundance of good looking woman!:-O

Finch the thing about Native American burials is actully the land owners call. Any Native American artifacts or remains found on private property are not subject to NAGPRA regulation and belong to the land owner. You are required to call the police when ever you find human remains to determine if they are a modern homicide but other than that you can do what you want with the remains so the government wouldnt get involved other than to determine that they person had been dead for a long time.

As for the women the 4 days I spent there looking for an apartment has made me agree with you. I dont know how Texas managed to pull it off but the women there are almost all hot.

Maybe he is just jealous that we are the state with the greatest number of insane women.

Fixed that for ya.

:jester:

But on a serious note, while landowners being paranoid or doing uncool things to prevent building restrictions, that sort of behaviour is pretty widespread. There's an uncountable number of stories of landowners finding something endangered and destroying/killing it and burying it so they don't need to suffer the red tape.

I think what Finch said is true about a lot of TX landowners. The same way it's true about plenty of landowners everywhere; north, south, east & west. That said, I used to get a bulletin from an organization of federal and state employees who were concerned about political meddling in environmental protection. Most of their worst horror stories seemed to come from TX, AZ, CO, & ID. No state went unmentioned, but TX seems to have far more than its fair share of problem landowners & businesses (and the politicians that enable them).

As for the women, are you sure it's the women you're attracted to and not the makeup?

Texas probably has a lot of people like that because the state is huge, and we have such a large amount of people who own tracts of land (besides just a house and small yard)

As for the women, are you sure it's the women you're attracted to and not the makeup?
The Cali girls are the fake ones :D

Back