Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sad day for vft's

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sad day for vft's

Today I was driving down a road that has a very nice vft site. This site was part of the cp tour I have given to a number of people. Pics of these same plants have been posted on here at least twice before.

I've known for awhile that they are planning to turn the 2 lane road into a four lane. The construction on the road isn't suppose to start for another year or so. Apparently they have started moving the utilities. They are moving them in the edge of the vft's. I thought about it all day and I decided that I can't let them just be destroyed.

So I went back to the site this afternoon and the site has changed so much that it took me about 15 minutes to find the vft's even though I have been to the site many times. I've never had trouble finding them before, I've always just walked right up to them. After looking over the site I decided it was best to take the plants that were near the construction. I know this site don't have very long to exist because the whole area is rapidly being developed and this land it up for sell. Regardless I decided it was best to only take the plants that were currently in danger.

I took some pics before I removed the plants.

Here are some pics of the construction.

Here is where some of the vft's are.

In the next pic you can see where the construction currently is and where the closest vft is.

Some of the vft's were in really bad shape. I guess the workers have been walking on them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The next pics are after I dug up the vtf's. I only dug up about a 2ft by 5 ft patch. I felt that the vft's past that wasn't in danger at this time. So I left them there.

I got about 100 pounds of vft's and the soil that they were in. I put them in a plastic tub.

I probably have hundreds of plants and seeds. I also got some D.capillaris. I plan to keep half the plants to one day introduce them to back to the site if it is ever possible. I'm going to offer the other half to site that a friend of mine owns and has agreed to protect. I'm not going to sell, or trade any of these so please don't ask.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noble work, Ozzy. How long did that job take you? Did anyone stop and question you about what you were doing?

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took me about an hour. One other sad fact that i wanted to mention before but I forgot was that even though I was in plan site of the road, I had a shovel and was digging up vft's and placing them in a tub, nobody stopped and questioned what i was doing. I saw a few looking as they drove by, but nobody cares. This is a very busy road too.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    isn't VFT collecting illegal though. Apart from the fact that its ok that ppl can kill endangered plants. (IRONY. ). I am not supporting either one.....but good job Ozzy. Its really sad to see things like this.

Its just sad on how entire ecosystems that have endured for generations basically disappear in flashes due to the impact of human life.

Good plan with the VFT's ozzy. Good luck.

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how can the gov't not care that ENDANGERED species are being killed, tampled, etc...?

it's just discusting!

no offence, but i would stop and question you and/or probably report you to the police !!
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by obregon562 View Post
    no offence, but i would stop and question you and/or probably report you to the police !!
    Most of the people probably didn't even know that there were vft's there, or even that vft's are endangered. Ozzy probably just looks like a construction worker doing his thing.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, I would too if I hadn't read this first. Sad... poor Venus Flytraps. Why does it need more road? Stupid civilization...
    - NeciFiX

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast