Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Police shoot snake and kills a 5 yo boy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only think of a few rounds (that are in "common use") that can go over a mile.
    you must not know much abot exterior balistics i can show you a 125 plus year old round, stuffed with black powder thats deadly at well over a mile. i know ppl who kill deer with a 223 remington at 700 yards at command. granted the average person cant do this but these guys know how to use turrets on their scopes and burn more gun powder in a year than an average military unit and actually have no military training. if a 223 will do it at 700 yards....something as basic as a 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag will do it at a mile........if the shooter is up to it.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That 125 year old round isn't in common use, 700 yards isn't anywhere near a mile, the 7mm rem mag/300 win mag doing it "at a mile"..well "at a mile" does not = more than a mile. I mean...a 7mm drops about 33" at 500 yards, which is over 70" in a mile. So unless you're pretty high above something....

And what's that 125 yr old round made of, rock? Thats from almost the civil war days, those rounds went like 100 yards tops, misfired like no one's business, and were probably the least accurate projectiles ever.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Realistically, no one short of sniper's and the such is aiming for anything more than a mile, much less 700 yards. The Average Joe hunter is going to be aiming within the 100-200yd range at the most. You also have to take into account that gravity as mentioned is always pulling down on the bullet. Once a gun fires the bullet is immediately sinking. The officer in mention must have been a bit on the dull side to shoot at the snake in the first place with anything less than a shot gun. Even then he'd have to get a good solid head shot to do anything. Snakes are resilient and that's why they say to screech your tires over them cause they live otherwise.... they're just a little more crooked than they were.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #1 takes much less than a 45 degree angle to launch a bullet a mile or more.

#2 the 125 year old cartidge is still VERY popular, its a 45-70. hell the 30-06 has been around 100 years. the 270 winchester came out in the 1920's

#3 the army tested the 45-70 out to well over a mile. there were snipers in the Civil War using breach loading, paper cased rounds to kill ppl at over 500 yards.

#4 i have personally....PERSONALLY seen rifles shooting old black powder buffalo hunting rounds, using iron sights, making hit after hit on man sized targets out to 1000 yards......add modern rounds, modern optics and a hell of a lot of skill and you can get well past a mile for an aimed deadly shot...........take the aiming out of it and add pure dumb luck in the case of this cop killing the kid and the bullet is potentially deadly as far as you can throw it.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    500 yards...1000 yards...still not a mile . Do you know how many yards are in a mile even?

Your #1 depends on a lot of things. You can argue that there are some cartriges that can travel over a mile (which I've only seen you provide "stats" for the 45-70 so far), but that doesn't mean they're deadly at that range. I don't know where rifles even came into this...the cop was using a handgun, which is not going to go very far at all in comparison to rifles. I don't even know why you're bringing in examples of people that are purposely trying to hit things at great distances, when the conversation was about firing randomly into the air. Its simple: A falling bullet traveling at 9.8 m/s2 or a little greater will not kill you, unless you're an infant or over 80, or you have osteaoperosis.

Though you've got a lot more experience than me with guns, you don't have anywhere near the experience I do with physics. 9.8m/s2 is not enough, end of story.
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's acceleration, not velocity. The falling bullet is accelerating at 9.8 m/s2 and a rising bullet is decelerating the same. In the absence of air resistance, a falling bullet would be lethal in not too many seconds. In the real world, we need to know what a bullet's terminal velocity is in air. I've heard a range of estimates ranging from it being too slow to be fatal to being plenty fast enough.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When an object is falling acceration = velocity very quickly. That is why a bowling ball and a bullet will fall at the same rate. Once a bullet hits its Hmax, velocity/acceleration = 0, it then accelerates at 9.8m/s2 until it reaches terminal velocity. Same thing if you throw a bowling ball in the air, except that probably would kill you by breaking your neck/cracking your skull because of the mass.

In the absence of air resistance, a falling bullet would be lethal in not too many seconds
    Nope. In a vacuum acceleration is 9.8m/s2, which isn't fast enough to kill. In the real world, the value is even smaller.

Square root of gt/2
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acceleration can never equal velocity because they have different units. Looking only at the number, v = a in ~1 sec (assuming both are expressed in distance per second). If they're written in m/hr and m/hr2, the numbers (in a vacuum) would be the same in an hour.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast