Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal/Ozzfest

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But All metal comes down to is, hate.
    That is so crazy. What metal have you been listening to?

I doubt that I go because it's all the way in Charlotte and I'll have to take off work and I just don't know if it'll be worth the hassle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i guess the metal I USED to listen to was more like Black Metal so sorry for that generalization!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ska hasn't been around since the 50s. What everyone calls "first wave" was just reggae anyway. 2nd wave didn't even hit till waht, the late 70s/early 80s? Thats when ska becamerecognizable as ska. Metal is from about the same era. Not even black metal is about hate, its about castles and dragons and ridiculous stuff.

I wouldn't even go as far as to say ska/punk is all about unity. Though there are a percentage bands that have a song or two about that, its not so much the main theme. Like the Business and Dropkick Murphys are about getting drunk and cracking skulls, and so are The Casualties to some extent (when you can actually understand what they're saying lol). Even some ska bands like Leftover Crack/Crackrocksteady 7 are pretty gruesome.

You're preaching to the choir here..I've seen pretty much every punk/ska band that was ever even decent except the dead kennedys. Now that I'm on the topic, I've even met a decent percentage of them.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ska was Reggae with horns, rude boys started out as lower class workers wearing suits to mock the upper class with shaved heads and boots.. And i beg to differ, in the 60's Ska was known as 2-tone Ska with black and white singers to rebel against racism. 2-tone ska was basically 2nd wave ska. 3rd wave ska, hit mid 80's and into the mid 90's but RBF is still going strong, but we could argue about definitions, but how about we just enjoy the music.

LOC isn't really SKA, but it is SKA like in my opinion, just like Operation Ivy and Assorted Jelly Beans. And The casualties are just plain awesome. I really wanna meet LOC cause they are like my favorite Ska Punk Band, Sure they are gruesome, but seriously, Gang control is a great song, and Gay Rude boys Unite, awesome?

I dunno where im going with this, lol. Have fun at ozzfest!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Metal has lost a step for me anymore. Older Slayer and Metallica were stellar. Slayer can still carry that banner of being an awesome metal band to this day, Metallica really cannot. It's sad. These days, I'm more into what I guess one would call metalcore (I hate these genres). Unearth's Strings of Conscience did and still does define that whole scene for me. I've been into them ever since. Although I feel they've become more straight up metal now and are not nearly as good. Old Slayer shows from years past were pretty insane, as were Gwar halloween shows (they come to Detroit just about every year around halloween). I've seen Gwar now 11 times. I still enjoy their music. I know they are not nearly as relevant in a shock rock way, but with age those guys have actually turned into good metal musicians. I suppose that's all a matter of taste though. When I was 13 going to see Gwar I totally feared for my life. At the tender age of 16 I got a bruised rib at a Gwar show. In those days, at least in this area, a lot of their fans were fatter skinhead types. I've known of good ones of course, but these fellas were big (in the fat kind of way), traveled in packs (of course) and mean as all hell. These days, those say guys are 40-ish with mullets and old wives. The world is amazing place.

As far as the whole ska conversation goes, I'm only a fan of Voodoo Glow Skulls. Good band, I say.
    I like plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH god gwar is awesome

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got to see The Exploited, Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks, Black Flag, DOA andHusker Du, to name a few, back in the good ol' days. Some quite a few times and in small "intimate" clubs. Richmond was a popular tour stop. Lotta energy...lotta heat...lotta fun! Loved Henry Rollins.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PAK you are officially my favorite mod.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast