Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much does your hobby cost?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhmmm

I actually made money on my plants, The Insurance company factored in my the orginal price, and how much they had grown.

= Free

Now I have window Sill plants. I'm about to ask my mom If I can move the plants into her Bathroom, its practically a sun Room and the plants would love it.

Until I get a light set up free right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepenthes View Post
    Well I was just checking my electric bill, and the itemization of the charges is ridiculous. Theres an Electricity Useage charge, and an Electricity Energy charge which is the cost for the power plant to produce the electricity. Then there are tiers for power consumption, and if you go over a baseline KwH, the rate goes up quickly. The Useage charge and the Energy charge should be combined to give a real amount that isn't confusing, but the Energy charge I guess can be deducted if you receive your electricity from a different company and use the utilities company to just distribute it. All in all I use ~550W, or 19.8 KwH a month and my bill can be ridiculous if we go over our "baseline allowance". I hate bills...

I'm not sure how your electric bills are by you but it almost sounds like you're on a commercial rate. Residential customers just get charged the production / consumption charges. The commercial rates here sounds similar to what you're describing. They bill us for a 'demand' on top of the consumption charge. Demand is basically the highest level of power you used in the month. So if you run a bar, have all the lights on, the music going, the AC going, and the refrigerator going, you'll get nailed by demand during that time. Some owners may unplug the refrigerator and set them extra high during the daytime when the other stuff isn't going. You might want to give them a call to find out if you're really on what you're suppose to be getting billed for. I think here they have 11 different rate plans for residents alone.
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get billed I think $10 + usage. Last month, My bill was $39.something
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it's official. I suck at math. lol, I meant to say I use ~205 KwH a month. which roughly comes out to about 26$ a month, just based off of a bill that came for 64KwH (only covering 5 days from move-in). Either way, I should find out how the rate system works and see what kind of a response I get from SDG&E (San Diego Gas & Electric).
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepenthes View Post
    .... I get from SDG&E (San Diego Gas & Electric).
    I took a look at their website for you, looks like they only have one residential plan. That baseline thing sounds like it sucks. However! They have some crazy rebates you can get from them for fixing up your house. Including discounts on CF fixtures from time to time.

http://www.sdge.com/residential/rebates_services.shtml
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have spent most liekly $150 snce I killed things when I was a newbie and all I use only 100 watts in cfls and an 80 watt shoplight. My dad still thins I use tons of power though I like drosera since they are easy to propogate for most species excluding tuberous,wollies and those and they are so many species. Neps are lovely but cost more but heck I have enough drosera to trade for a few cuttings. I love pings,easy urtics,genesilia since they are easy to propoagte and I love th other genereas alot too
    I spend money on electricity(my parent but crude we have 7 cents per kilowatt thats cheap) no water I use my spring water then filter through a brita and yes it wokrs I slowely sprayed some of the water onto the 800 degree wood stove and there was no white residue
    (I used too many I's)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably about $30, that got me started and grew my plants outdoors for a year. That's a good chunk of a college student's money, though. Book costs have hit me semester after semester (although I've figured out a few tricks).

Hopefully when I propagate more Sarracenia I'll be able to trade and never spend any money on plants at all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh thx for the reasearch Mr. Flytrap . I have purchased quite a few CFL replacement bulbs, and they are all over the house. They are quite cheap in the area, because of that rebate. But yeah, SDGE does kind of suck...

Well JM if you don't end up moving to Hawaii, lemme know and I will see if I can make some cuttings for you. I have some Gymnamphora basal cuttings that I am going to be giving away soon, and some of the more common Neps in cuttings. I also have some Ceph divisions I wouldn't mind letting go of.
    - Daniel

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast