Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes it happens that way

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes it happens that way

I was asked to go to a guys house and remove a 4 ft black snake. From the descption I believe the snake was a black racer. After searching for over an hour and tearing his yard up, we gave up.
    On the way home about a 1/4 mile from my house, I passed right by a snake on the road. I barely saw it because it was just getting dark. I hit the brakes spun around and since I had all my snake catching gear right there I scooped him up in a box. Put the top on and put him in the van. I could tell by his markings that he was 100% a cotton mouth. Even though he didn't curl up and display the white mouth, I had no doubt.

I got home took the box off and I expected the cotton mouth display, but he was just sitting in there. I looked close and even though it was dark, I could see that it wasn't a cottonmouth, it was a banded watersnake. I had just took a quick look at it's body and assumed it was a cottonmouth.

While I was playing with him, he decided to take a bite, He swung his head around, grabbed my finger. In that split second I felt his teeth against my skin. For some reason, he didn't bite down, he just let me go without biting me. I have never heard of any snake doing that.

Here some of the pics. Sorry that some of them are a little blurry, but it's hard to take a pics while trying to avoid a snakebite at night.

I let him go behind my house. There is a nice deep ditch that he can live in back there.

See if you can find the snake in this pic.

Look closer.

It's funny that I went to rescue a snake, but couldn't find it, then I ended up driving right up on and then rescuing a snake less that a mile from my house. Sometimes it happens that way.
    Last edited by Pyro; 08-15-2007 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Just refitting the images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a beautiful snake . Yes, it is ironic. He should enjoy his new home. I really enjoyed reading this!

Thanks!

~NeciFiX
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's cool, but I was expecting the story to take a different path, in the direction of @#$%, the box is empty and a water mocassin is loose somewhere in my van.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    That's cool, but I was expecting the story to take a different path, in the direction of @#$%, the box is empty and a water mocassin is loose somewhere in my van.
    I thought the exact same thing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a beautiful snake. I wonder why he didn't bite you. Are they poisonous?
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Ozzy,

I have had that happen. And it was with a banded as it turns out. My corn has also been knonw to do that every now and then, though I am of the opinon that on those occasions he is just trying to lull me into complacency because the next time he hits me he goes for blood
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some reason, he didn't bite down, he just let me go without biting me.
    You must have tasted like Spam and not chicken...so he let go. At least you know now that "tasty morsel" doesn't apply to you. lol

BTW...Niki I just saw your "great googly moogly"....my old Algebra teacher in high school used to say that. He would also waggle his scalp and slam a yard stick down on a desk when it was quiet while we were taking a test. Everybody would jump. lol
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    beautiful snake.

the 6th picture would be a cool avatar.
    Go White Sox!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -J Hendrix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast