User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will this reverse osmosis system work?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's nothing worse than forgetting about it overnight, and waking up to a flooded bathroom with water leaking down into the basement.

I'm not allowed to have it inside any more lmao.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh okay! I understand this a little better now! I thought that this was similar to a filter that you put on your sink and it filters the water immediately, but really you have to let the water run and filter all day long (or a few hours) until the tank is filled up with water (then use the water as needed)... or am I misunderstanding something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes about 3 hours for me to get 5 gallons of water. Even though it says it makes 100 GPD, at that rate it's only 40 gallons per day. Probably just need more pressure but I don't really care.

For every gallon of water you make, you waste 10-15 gallons. So If you make 5 gallons, it takes 55-80 gallons of water to get that. You're essentially forcing water through plastic and that's why it takes so long and isn't fast like those little sink drinking-water filters. With RO you're removing almost EVERYTHING and with those Brita things you're removing "just enough" to make it taste OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you have to hook it into the cold water line. not very hard. it also needs a waste water hookup. when you have a tank you just take a couple of gallons at a time when it's filled. JLAP, your waste water shouldn't be that much, I believe that 1 gallon permeate to 3-5 gallons brine is the correct amount. I get about 4 gallons a hour.
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never measured, I thought it was 10-15. I stand corrected!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waste 4:1 RO (3-5) is about normal. Reject:Production is effected mainly by Temp, Psi and initial TDS. Membranes 75gpd or less generally have a 98% rejection rate. 100gpd+ generally are a 90% rejection rate. If incoming TDS is 300ppm than the RO should be ~30ppm (probably ~25 actually) on a 100gpd unit. Higher temps increase production and decrease rejection, but temps over 113F will melt the membrane. The membranes are rated at 77F and 60psi (I think, maybe a bit lower).

Running 2 (or even 3) membranes in series can reduce Rejection:Production down to 1:1 and even lower. But one of the trade-offs is shortened membrane life-span.

If You only need a few gallons a week, then Dual DI at a production rate of 10gpHour or just picking up some distilled at the store may be a Good bet.

Also, a lot of Pet/Aquarium stores sell RO pretty cheap (~$0.25/gal).

The rig You are looking at will do the trick, but if You are buying it used--it may need a new membrane, so just keep that in mind.

I own one of the Aqua-safe systems. Its overall about the best-bang-for-buck, but they have cheapened the system--so beware. I really don't know what the "Quality" level is of their current system. When I bought mine (Nov 06) and before--the recommendations were Good.

HTH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12