What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will this reverse osmosis system work?

Hey guys! I don't have much of an idea of what kind of reverse osmosis system would work for my CPs, so I am hoping that you all can help me out. Will this http://www.kentmarine.com/waterfilters/fill-size-ro/full-size-his-ro.htm reverse osmosis system work? I can get one for around $60. If not, can you recommend a good one that is not too expensive?

So far, I have been buying distilled water from the store, and I know that I can't keep doing that forever, unless I want to go broke! Let me know what you think, thanks!

i have been using this unit from : http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/ro-counter-detail.htm

It can generate about 100 gallons a day. I have used the unit for over 4 years now, and just replace the filters every year . I really don't think you can get a unit for $60, are you sure this includes the whole RO set up?

Peter.

Yes.

Looks like a filter only unit, no tank/bladder, taps etc. and fitted for garden hoses. My friend's father-in-law uses one such as this in his orchid greenhouse. It just fills a large reservoir that feeds the watering/misting system. I guess you can get 'em at cost around $60 if you have the business connections.

No reason why you can't use it. If you're going to put it under the sink you'll probably need to buy a tank, fitting adapters, hoses etc.

EBAY.cheaper for a full 100 gpd system, with storage tank and faucet for $100. work great I have one I have been using for 1 1/2 yrs.

I did EBAY too, and got 2 tanks so I have more water available at all times. I might go to three! I think AQUASAFE something was the seller. I'm very happy with it.

Capslock

Well, for the base system it's roughly the same. But you should know that these things put out water at just a trickle. It's not really practical unless you have a tank that you fill. I'd either buy one that comes with the pressurized tank (usually a little more money) or have some sort or reservoir to collect the water in (preferably with a float valve so you don't overfill it.)

Check this one out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUA-SAFE-MAXIM...ryZ20684QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Max

There's nothing worse than forgetting about it overnight, and waking up to a flooded bathroom with water leaking down into the basement.

I'm not allowed to have it inside any more lmao.

Oh okay! I understand this a little better now! I thought that this was similar to a filter that you put on your sink and it filters the water immediately, but really you have to let the water run and filter all day long (or a few hours) until the tank is filled up with water (then use the water as needed)... or am I misunderstanding something?

It takes about 3 hours for me to get 5 gallons of water. Even though it says it makes 100 GPD, at that rate it's only 40 gallons per day. Probably just need more pressure but I don't really care.

For every gallon of water you make, you waste 10-15 gallons. So If you make 5 gallons, it takes 55-80 gallons of water to get that. You're essentially forcing water through plastic and that's why it takes so long and isn't fast like those little sink drinking-water filters. With RO you're removing almost EVERYTHING and with those Brita things you're removing "just enough" to make it taste OK.

you have to hook it into the cold water line. not very hard. it also needs a waste water hookup. when you have a tank you just take a couple of gallons at a time when it's filled. JLAP, your waste water shouldn't be that much, I believe that 1 gallon permeate to 3-5 gallons brine is the correct amount. I get about 4 gallons a hour.

I never measured, I thought it was 10-15. I stand corrected!

Waste 4:1 RO (3-5) is about normal. Reject:production is effected mainly by Temp, Psi and initial TDS. Membranes 75gpd or less generally have a 98% rejection rate. 100gpd+ generally are a 90% rejection rate. If incoming TDS is 300ppm than the RO should be ~30ppm (probably ~25 actually) on a 100gpd unit. Higher temps increase production and decrease rejection, but temps over 113F will melt the membrane. The membranes are rated at 77F and 60psi (I think, maybe a bit lower).

Running 2 (or even 3) membranes in series can reduce Rejection:production down to 1:1 and even lower. But one of the trade-offs is shortened membrane life-span.

If You only need a few gallons a week, then Dual DI at a production rate of 10gpHour or just picking up some distilled at the store may be a Good bet.

Also, a lot of Pet/Aquarium stores sell RO pretty cheap (~$0.25/gal).

The rig You are looking at will do the trick, but if You are buying it used--it may need a new membrane, so just keep that in mind.

I own one of the Aqua-safe systems. Its overall about the best-bang-for-buck, but they have cheapened the system--so beware. I really don't know what the "Quality" level is of their current system. When I bought mine (Nov 06) and before--the recommendations were Good.

HTH

Back