What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible Home Depot substitutes for Neem & Rooting Hormone

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I was talking to the actual horticulturalist in the garden department and asking if we carried Neem Oil or Rootone. We don't, but we do have Schultz' Take Root ($5.28) for rooting hormone and Bonide ($6.97) as a possible substitute for Neem Oil. anybody familiar with these products?

Rootone is .20% 1-Naphthaleneacetamide and 4.04% thiram.

I couldn't find anything on the Schultz product. It's probably fine but you won't know which is better until you know what the ingredients are and at what concentration. I don't think anyone needs rooting hormone anyway lol.

Bon-neem by Bonide liquid concentrate is by weight: Potassium Salts of Fatty Acids derived from Neem Seed oil, 25.00%; Inert Ingredients 75%. In otherwords, it's a soap derived from neem oil, not neem oil.

The Schultz garden safe 3 in 1 fungicide/insecticide/mitacide I use is like... .9% clarified hydrophobic neem oil extract. I like it. It's not concentrated so it's ready to use and the only thing that's ever been bothered by heavy doses was the D. adelae.

Don't they carry the Garden Safe brand (Schultz) Fungicide3?

Active ingredients: Clarified Hydrophobic extract of Neem Oil 0.9%

Bob Hope? Anyways... I was curious to see if there were easyily obtainable products.. kinda like finding a generic brand that is cheaper and easier to come by.

So far I haven't had a real need for neem oil, but like the idea of rooting hormone to deal with my Neps. My plants are overgrown and scraggly looking and I have ~50% success with cuttings taking root, without help.

Back